One

His pen hovered above the finalizing papers. Was it too good to be true? Possibly, but he didn't care. 

The real estate agent tapped his finger in exasperation. All he wanted to do was go home, but of course, there's always going to be that one person that ruins it all. He, also, wanted this house off of his hands. 

"Are you sure this isn't a scam?" Gabriel stopped thinking for a quick second to ask his question as he looked up at the agent, who was growing increasingly more agitated. 

"Yes, I'm sure. The owners want to get rid of this house as soon as possible, that's all."

Gabriel knew there was something else behind it. "But why? Why do they want to get rid of it with such a low price?"

The agent groaned to himself, "Yes, five hundred dollars a month for rent is low, but they must have their reasons." 

He knew the agent was right, so he mustered up any of his leftover courage and signed the papers. As soon as he did, the agent grinned, took the papers, and shook Gabriel's hand. Gabriel grinned a little as well, but it didn't reach his eyes like it should have. 

He got the keys from the agent, and walked to his car away from the agents work building. They could have signed the papers inside the house Gabriel just bought, but the agent refused. Maybe he did know why the previous owners wanted to get rid of the house. 

Gabriel, however, didn't care at that moment in time, he wanted to get to his new house and settle in. 

His house resided in a run down neighborhood. Drugs and alcohol catered to all of his new neighbors, chain link fences separated surrounded all sides of his house minus the front. The backyard has dead, overgrown weeds everywhere, with a rotten tree in the middle to make it look better. 

The house itself looked condemned, yet it wasn't. It is a dark maroon on the outside, with white pillars connecting the porch railing to the roof. It has green stains covering a lot of the pillars, but it can be easily washed off. 

Maybe this is why the rent is five hundred dollars a month, Gabriel wondered. 

Although, he wasn't going to complain about it, he needed a house, and he got one. 

When he reached his new house, he took his minimal belongings and brought them inside. The inside was dark and musty. Cobwebs covered every corner, and there were weird stains on the walls. Did the owners actually live in here, he wondered again.

He didn't care. For now, he had a home.