Chapter One: Letting Go

My life had always been uneventful. Nothing too good, nothing too bad, I always wished for something more, something interesting. But, did that mean I wanted to move to another state!? Not at all! I hate getting out of my comfort zone and things will probably be the same anyway. My brother brenden however, sees things differently. He sees things so optimistically and to him a new place, is new opportunities. But I'm 16 and at the end of my junior year of high school, this couldn't be more spontaneous. He had been taking care of me since our parents died and he's a senior but he and his girlfriend sheyenne decided this area was becoming too dangerous.
"We've been here our entire life! What's another two years?" I argued.
"I'll miss this place too kaley, but you can't deny things have gotten way worse, in the past few years and I can't help but feel it's not safe for us to start a family and you to finish highschool." He says calmly
"IM SO TIRED OF THIS SHIT! NOTHING EVER GOES MY WAY!" I say ignorantly with built up anger
"Please tell me, what are you leaving behind? A boyfriend? You don't have one, friends? I never see them. What do you have to lose? Me if you don't come."
He's right. Why would I want to stay here? I'm being unreasonable, it's just I'm used to this place. But I need to accept that he's right, this entire state isn't the best.
"Our plane leaves tomorrow, I suggest you drop your damn attitude and start packing." Sheyenne elbowed him making him add a "please" . I did exactly as he told me, I packed, and went to bed in my childhood home for what I knew would be the last time.
~the next morning~
I get up, slowly with an obvious lack of excitement. I put my hair into a messy bun, and put on a blue oversized hoodie with leggings. "Couldn't have dressed up like a girl for once?" He laughs
"Shut up" I roll my eyes as we board the plane.
When we get on the plane I have to sit by two strangers, ones a girl around 14 looking, the other a guy around my age, they seem like siblings and won't stop arguing. Oddly this was comforting to me. I fell asleep as I began thinking about what kind of people I'll meet and what kind of person I'll become when we're there.