Away for the Holidays

Half lidded, groggy e/c eyes gazed out of the balcony,  watching the snow fall relentlessly down on the ground. A large yawn slipped out, accompanied by a small squeak at the end. Your hands raised to rub the tears from your eyes, and returned to the spot around your knees. You sat silently in your desk chair, knees to your chest, and blanket around your body as you looked longingly outside.

Years had past, and you were 12 now. It was late December, nearly Christmas, and you were beginning to doubt that your wish for the holiday would come true.

Kibutsuji had been away for almost 4 months now, away on business Ayano had informed you. He hadn't even been able to say goodbye to you, instead just disappearing one night. You chewed on your cheek, resting the opposite one atop your knees as you continued to watch the snowfall.

Atop the desk before you was a perfectly wrapped present, the one you had bought last week for Lord Muzan. You had gotten him a gift nearly every Christmas, and he had gotten you one as well, but that's as far as the holiday ever went. You had hoped this year you could finally show off your cooking skills, and make him a proper Christmas meal, but it was shaping up like he wouldn't even be home. You sighed deeply at the thought, depressed by his absence.

Three knocks sounded on your door, but you did not move from your spot.

"Yes?" You called out, and Ayano entered, frowning immediately upon seeing you.

"Did you not sleep again?" She asked, breakfast in hand as you shook your head atop your legs. She sighed, crossing the room and setting your food down before you. "He'd be unhappy to hear that, you know."

You lifted your head and looked at the plate before you, your favorite breakfast sitting atop your desk.

"I know, but I can't help it," you informed her, licking your lips before reaching for the glass of water atop the tray, taking a sip before setting it down. "It's not the same when Lord Muzan isn't home."

Ayano frowned, but she nodded, before heading into your bathroom to draw a hot bath.

You were right, she felt the same way when Kibutsuji left for long periods of time. She could only imagine what that felt like to a human such as yourself, with such a short life already.

She stopped herself mid thought, and chuckled quietly, remembering that you were no human. You were aging normally as one, yes, but your aura, scent, sound, intelligence, healing speed, and appearance gave you away quickly.

She ran the bath while she listened to you eat from the other room, slipping the vile of Kibutsuji's blood mixture into the water, swirling it with her finger. Even after watching over you for five years, she never became less envious of the days you were to bathe in his blood.

When you turned the corner, Ayano looked up from her spot by the tub, before flicking the water off of her hand and rising to her feet.

"All set. I'll go take care of your dishes," she announced, and you watched her walk past you before speaking.

"Do you think he'll be home for Christmas...? Ayumi and I practiced cooking and baking for months just for the holiday," you spoke softly, hope and disappointment evident in your voice somehow simultaneously. Ayano stopped in the doorway, and glanced over her shoulder at you.

"I doubt Master will disappoint you," she said simply, before gathering your dishes and exiting.

You chewed on your cheek, before shutting the door behind you and undressing, stepping into the hot bath water.

Your body began to tingle, and you shivered, slowly submerging yourself up to your chin. With a sigh, you relaxed, and the feeling subsided. You hung your arms over the edge, your hair cascading over the side of the tub before a knock sounded on your door.