Chapter 17

I had been sitting in the market for a a couple of hours when I saw a car pull up and I immediately identified the driver as Luke. I ran out into the rain and straight into the passenger seat, leaving Luke's wrecked car to be towed in the morning.

"Oh my God, thank you for coming," I praised as I wiped my runny makeup from under my eyes.

"You scared the shit out of me, Channing," she replied.

"God, I know," I whined as I face palmed. "I was scared of the outcome and I ran away from my problems. I always do that."

"It's fine. But listen, I really don't want to drive for four hours so could we find a hotel or something?"

"Absolutely. I'm exhausted anyway," I said as I yawned.

Luke and I had been driving for a couple of hours when we pulled up to a small inn that that had a lit up 'vacant' sign glowing in the front lot. I had fallen asleep on the way and he had to carry me to the lobby and lay me gently on the chairs that lined the wall when I began to wake. Luke got the key to our room and carried me there as well.

After he had walked in, he layed me gently onto the bed before gently shaking me to wake up and shower. I wasn't sure if I should've taken that as and insult or not.

I clumsily walked to the bathroom and stripped down into my bra and underwear. Just before I turned on the water, a spider crawled across the sink counter, and that changed my mind on taking a shower.

I leaned out of the door and whispered, "Luke." I didn't want to wake him up if he was sleeping. Luckily for me, he was propped up on the bed frame scrolling through his Twitter feed.

"Yeah," he spoke not looking away from his screen.

"Can you, um, take a shower with me?"

He glared at me from the bed most likely trying to comprehend if I was being serious or not.

"Sure."

Luke hastily got off of the bed and into the bathroom. I was patiently waiting on the counter top. I had smashed the spider with a shampoo bottle and placed a towel where I sat. I didn't trust the conditions of this inn. They were very unsanitary.

Luke had stripped to his boxers, but I had made it a strict rule that he didn't take them off, as I would leave my undergarments on as well. I made him turn on the water because I wasna't risking touching a spider or anything else that could be lurking.

"Join me," he asked as he held out a hand from behind the shower curtain. I help his hand as I stepped over the bath ridge and under the water with him.

"Mmm," I sighed as the water ran down my body. The heat was refreshing.

"So are you going to tell me why you are so uneasy and want to take a shower with me," Luke asked as he reached down to grab the shampoo bottle.

"How do you know I'm uneasy?"

"Channing, I can tell that you have been crying and we're in the shower together."

Shit, he's right.

I hesitated at first, but then decided to rip it off like a bandage.

"I killed my parents and I'm a vampire again."

Silence. That was the only word that I could use to describe what had happened after what I had said.

"I swear I didn't mean to. I got in an accident with them and I left a note in the car about how I didn't want them to find me or Katie. I was crying over my dad's bleeding body when the blood got to me and I took a drink. I drained him and..."