Chapter 5

I trained long and hard the next day, my eyes showing a determination that would outshine any normal female. I needed to do this, to perfect my quirk. Just like the rest of my classmates, I needed to be the best at what I did. No one here was aiming for the middle, all of us were aiming for the top. It was more than obvious that, that was the case for Izuku, Todoroki, Iida, and Bakugou. Anyone else in the class did their best to keep up with them. It was just amazing to think about how much Izuku's improved, especially since he was quirkless only a year ago. It made me even more determined to do my best. If Izuku was able to pull through despite all of the odds, so would I.

Another stressed breath escaped my lips as I got up off of the grassy land, my hero costume being what was what surrounded me. One small adjustment to my costume was a cloak, one that would allow me one guaranteed shadow jump. After that I would need to find a way to get the cloak back before being able to use it again. I can't use my own shadow to shadow jump after all, I use the shadow produced by the cloak to teleport, but that means that I would be leaving behind the cloak at whatever area I transported from. It takes a lot of energy out of me, but building my stamina is what this training was for!

I opened up my cloak which showed the shadow produced by it, from that shadow I began to produce solid black spikes, spikes that I soon shot at a nearby tree. I aimed at a select few branches, a majority of my spikes hitting their target. "Damn it." I muttered, "That's not good enough."

Thankfully I've pretty much mastered my control of the shadow extensions, but my projectiles and shadow jump could very well use some work. If even one of the spikes go astray, then I can unintentionally injure one of my teammates.

"Hey Y/n, do you need some help over there?" A voice asked from behind me.

This sudden appearance startled me slightly, causing me to jump before turning around to see Todoroki. He seemed pretty tired already...but he was still willing to help me out? He should probably rest.

"No, it's okay Todoroki! Really!" I said, waving my hand dismissively, "You look pretty tired anyway, you should rest."

He shook his head and continued his approach, "I'm fine. I need to push myself anyway, if I don't then there's not much improving going on am I right? You look like you can use a partner anyway." He asked, stopping as he was a few feet in front of me.

I knew that I couldn't speak against the male, really there was nothing you can do to stop him as soon as he makes up his mind. It's admirable in my eyes, something that I can look up to.

"Alright, suit yourself." I said, chuckling softly as I dusted off my cloak. I could think of a fee things I could do with the male to practice and to be honest it would benefit us both.

"For now you could aim your projectiles at me and I'll block them, alright? I think it could help with your aim..." he said, looking in my direction as if asking if I was okay with the plan.

"Yeah, that'll work." I nodded, giving the male a small grin before getting into an offensive position with my cloak open, the spikes already in the process of being created.

"You realize you're giving me an opening right?" Todoroki said, looking at me with his hands in a position to attack. When I looked at him though, he made his body relax. "Your open cloak welcomes a fire user like me to project my flames into that area specifically. You should produce your spikes under your cover and then open up only when you're ready to attack. Is that cloak of yours fireproof?"

I placed a hand under my chin as I looked up at the sky in thought. "I don't think so...the need never really crossed my mind so I should probably do that later." I chuckled. "Thanks for the idea."