Chapter Four

The day came too soon. The school's quad was filled with black clad students in mourning. I sighed, gripping the curtains and peering down at everyone below from Val's room. I turned to face her. She sat at her vanity mirror, brushing her hair, slowly. As if to kill a few minutes before it was time to leave. Her face was paler than usual and expressionless.

I stood there at my spot, shoothing my hair down. I regreted cutting it three weeks ago. Before, it had hung to my waist. Now it just fell past my shoulgers. I desided to have my hair in curls today, because a couple of hours after the funeral, was the she's memorial banquet for the Rinaldi's.

I wore a lacey black dress with a black and gold cardigan. I decided on my own to wear black stocking with my simpe Mary Jane heels because it was in the memory of Lynk, who was like a brother to me. I didn't want to do-or wear anything that would disrespect him today.

There was a soft knock at the door. Val's waiting lady, Lidie, strode over to the door. She peered from around it, then completely stepped aside and bowed her head,

"Your Majesty. Queen Vasilissa Dragomir has arrived, your grace." Lidie looked over to Val.

The Queen appeared inside, along with King Christian, Val's father. His hand never letting her's go. Vasilissa's hair cascading down one side of her neck with her glittering tiara atop her head. Christian didn't wear a crown. Though they both dressed in all black.

Val shot up, racing over to her parent wrapping them in her arms and crying softly. I held myself, fighting back my tears. I had done all my crying last night in Adrian's room. He was the only person in the world i could really cry infront of. Though i hated him now, i didn't care. Sadness was a hard emotion for me to cope with. Especially if it was Val who was sad.

"It's going to be alright." Vasilissa said softly.

I didn't realized my mother standing beside Christian and Lidie until i heard her say, "Lissa, it's time."

She was dressed in the formal Guardian attire: Black suit, white button up and black boots. She had her hair up in a bun so her molnija marks were visible for all to see. She looked at me, her expression enigmatic.

"Alright, Rose. Thank you." Lissa said.

Christian walked out the room beside Val. My mother walked out alongside Lidie, leaving the queen and I alone.

I stood her, my hands clasped together and my heart beating in a strange rhythm.

"Jade, love, I can only imagine how you must feel right now-at this very moment." She floated over to me, engulfing me with a hug.

"I have to stayed strong. For Val's sake. She needsa solid shoulder to cry on." I said, forcing myself to suck up any emotion at all.

"Your so valiant. You remind me so much of Rose at your age." she sighed.

"Oh, no. I doubt that. My mom had her first molnija mark at seventeen. I can't compete with that." I exhaled.

"Your stronger than you think. And, that's right, you did have a birthday." she grinned, revealing a tiny white box with a silver bow. "Happy birthday."

"Lissa, my birthday was two weeks ago." I smiled.

"I know, but i was so upset i couldn't get you anything because we were away."

I opened the box as it revealed a tiny black and red Orb.

"It's a Nazar." I gasped.

I new this peice of jewelry anywhere because my mother owned one similiar from my grandmother.