08|The terrace

I toss and turn but can't find the right position to sleep. My eyes are as wide as the entrance of a tunnel. I keep staring at the white ceiling,but I can't sleep, so I toss the blanket and get out of bed. I stumble to the closet and grab a black coat. I put it on and make my way to the terrace.

This hotel room is extraordinary. It has five bedrooms(one for me, one for Tyler and Melinda, one for Noah, one for Vera and one for Alex), two restrooms,a kitchen, a living room and a really big terrace with a small hot tub.

I open the glass door as cold penetrates through my veins. I stare with wide eyes at the breathtaking view of the skyline. The city spreads below me, and the world feels broad and free, making me want to jump. Rows of towering skyscrapers stretch in front of me. There are no trees or blooms, just monoliths of concrete soaring out of the sidewalk in a precise grid patter. A full moon hovers at the fringes of the luminous cityscape,and the red blinking lights of distant radio towers and stoplights glow in the night.

 A full moon hovers at the fringes of the luminous cityscape,and the red blinking lights of distant radio towers and stoplights glow in the night

I sign amazed as someone whispers behind me, making my heart bounce.
"It's awesome".
I turn around to find a tall figure towering in front of me. I stare at his gold hair and emerald eyes glowing in the night, but soon shift my gaze back to the skyline.
"Yes, it is" I reply flatly.

He comes closer as heat is radiated from his body,making me feel warmer. The scent of shaving cream mixed with mint lingers in the air so that when I turn around the smell is like a shot of adrenaline right to my heart.

"Have you ever been to New York?" he asks as the strong smell of fresh mint enters my nostrils.
"No" I admit looking down at the floor.
He huffs as he passes a hand through his mop of blond strands. He leans against the railing and stares at the neon city.

Gazing towards the city he says " Look, I'm sorry for everything...I feel like a piece of shit. I was wrong. I am sorry that I hurted your feelings, and I feel terrible that I have done something that has hurted you.  I shouldn't have cheated on you with no one, especially with your best friend. I know that you're not going to forgive me , but I don't want to have a bad relationship with you, especially now that you're working for me."
Holding my tears back I mutter " You made my life a shit, you know that...At graduation, I had to take drugs otherwise I wouldn't have gotten out of bed. I really hate you, you know that. I appreciate your effort, but I won't forgive you so easily...".

He looks down at his feet

"How's everything going at home?" he asks.
"I don't know... I last had a proper conversation with my mom two months ago... I haven't called her since then and I think I'll never will. My dad died, I think you heard it..." I mutter as tears cleanse my now red face, slowly making their way into my mouth so that I can taste my own salty sorrow.
" I didn't know it... I'm so sorry..." he says, staring deeply into my eyes.

I wipe my eyes as I walk away.
"Look...Before Melinda tells you... We'll get married in a year" he shouts as colour drains from his face.
My lower lip quivers as I turn around.
"I'm happy for you..." I mutter.
He smiles tightly, and walks towards me. He wraps an arm around my shoulders and pulls me closer, gently rubbing my arm. Despite the heaviness in my stomach, it flutters at the feeling of his strong body pressed against mine. 
"Look we don't need to hug" I say blatantly, making my way to the door. "Good night" he mutters as I open the door.