Chapter 4- Reality reverses the roles

After walking out of the clinic Dimitri started with "Rose." I knew that tone of voice. I was so in for it.
"Don't. Just don't, Dimitri. Not here. Not now."
I was holding back tears. He was going to give me a zen life lesson about right and wrong, about what we'd just done. I'd been through too much tonight to deal with rejection too.
"Don't tell me it was 'just a spell', 'just a charm', Dimitri. I figured that out myself. It was a spell. But it was me too. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It was more me than the spell. Even I know spells can't create what isn't there. They also can't take away what is. Deny it all you want, just don't hurt me in the process. I've learnt my lesson- Lissa first. Don't tell me what I already know. Just don't." It was all true. I meant every single word.

I also knew that I'd choose to save Dimitri over Liss. I knew he'd put me first, too, and that was what he wanted to drill into me about us not being able to afford to happen.

I'd been firm in my delivery, but not harsh; assertive rather than slightly aggressive. I'd addressed it as a fact. I didn't want to hurt him but knew it probably would, and he just wouldn't show it. Unless it was killing me in training. I knew if the speech was aimed at me I'd be in tears after nodding dutifully and walking away.

"Rose," he surprised me. His pain was written all over his face and his voice was strained.
"Dimitri. It shouldn't be me giving this speech. I should be on the receiving end of it. And would be if I hadn't figured it out myself."
"You are so in for it in training tomorrow." There was a serious note to it, but I caught the playful glint in his eyes. Damn him! He was going to fight to keep me by his side, to put me above Lissa. I couldn't believe it. It wasn't like him. And, did we really just reverse roles? His phone had to decide to ring and interrupt our weird, but sweet, moment.
"Rose. Victor wants to see you. Alone. In the holding cells." He wasn't happy about the 'alone' part. "Something about being 'shadow-kissed'."
"I'll deal with it," I split off and headed for the cells.