VI

Not a single day went by without the two of them talking at least once a day.

Despite being apart, they still were really close.

And Max felt understood. She really did. Everything she felt she could just tell Eleven and Eleven would understand and be there for her and vice versa.

Everything? Well, not really.
There was this one thing that Max didn't talk about. That one thing that she couldn't quite put into words and it made her feel confused. She wasn't able to describe it but she knew it was there, somewhere in Eleven's laugh, in the way Max's heart felt when she heard it, in the warmth that only Eleven could make her feel even though she was so far away.

Even now this feeling slowly makes its way into Max's heart and mind. She likes how it feels but she doesn't know whether it's good or bad so she just tries to push it away. 

Eleven just finished telling her about her day. It was a good one. She has made many new friends, despite being very shy and insecure at first and today she went to the mall with them.

It makes Max happy to hear about such awesome things happening to her friend. But she can't help but remember the times the two of them spent at the mall in Hawkins. The good times and the bad times. She shivers.

Not wanting to think about it any longer, she asks another question. "Are you and Will planning on visiting us during the Christmas Holidays?"

"Well, no..."

Max sighs.

"I actually wanted to ask if you want to spend Christmas at our place," El says hesitantly, trying to hide a smile.

"Oh my god, that's so cool."

Max face lights up.

"The boys and I?" she asks.

"Well, no, actually.... just you. If that's OK.."

"But what about Mike?"

"What about him? I want to spend Christmas with you."

Max can't stop smiling. She can't even think straight, she's just so happy about this.

"Of course, I want to. That would be the best thing ever."

Eleven giggles. "I'm so happy!"

"I'm looking forward to it, El. I miss you."

"I miss you, too."