[05] Nothing But Net

"Sorry!"

The squeaky apology was all I could muster after hitting Yoongi in the face with the M&M. I was mortified. He kept looking at me for a few more tense seconds as I spiralled in mental self-flagellation before he broke into the widest gummy smile imaginable. My stomach did a backflip.

Yoongi chuckled and looked down. He found the offending candy on his lap and popped it in his mouth, maintaining eye contact as he did. He hummed to himself in delight after swallowing, but then paused for a moment lost in thought.

Suddenly he smiled again as if he had come to some sort of conclusion. He detached his mask from his ears, removed his hat and placed them on the floor beside him. He ruffled his bangs and then he nodded at me, smirking.

I looked at him blankly, not sure how to react. He clearly wanted something, staring at me intensely with that breathtaking smile.

"Again." He finally says.

It was my turn to grin back at him. I grabbed another candy and held it up in-front of me first, this time taking care to give him ample warning. He nodded again, ready. I tossed it, more gently than the first. He leaned forward and caught it flawlessly in his mouth.

Nothing but net.

I giggled. Giggled. Like a lovesick schoolgirl, not a working professional. He chuckled too and helped himself to the neglected potato chips. We sat there in a comfortable silence for awhile, listening to the sound of our chewing and Yoongi's phone playing soft music in the background. It was all so surreal.

I came up with an idea but I wasn't sure if Yoongi would catch on or if I'd make a fool of myself. I cleared my throat to gain his attention. I raised my hands up and formed L shapes with my index fingers and thumbs, touching them together like football goal posts. Then I moved my eyes from his to the chips and back to his a few times, hoping he would understand my intention. I breathed a sigh of relief when a look of comprehension appeared on his face.

He picked up a chip and placed it on his left hand, making large exaggerated movements. He positioned his right hand fingers, preparing to flick the chip. His face screwed up with concentration as he aimed. When he released, the chip sailed between my fingers gracefully like he was a pro chip-ball player. The crowd when wild. Well, I went wild, cheering for him and he covered his mouth with his hand, eyes wide with shock and joy. The elevator exploded into a fit of laughter.

I munched on the chip happily as we fell back into our comfortable silence. At this point, the eye contact between us had intensified.

Suddenly, I was aware of my skimpy sleep shirt again as I realized Yoongi's eyes were straying from my own, taking a better look at me.

Is Min Yoongi checking me out? A shiver rippled through my whole body and my smile fell. Is it the cold that's making me shiver? Or is it... him?

I had never felt so cold and so hot at the same time before. I shivered again, this time more violently. Yoongi noticed. Before I knew it he had taken off his jacket and moved closer to me, offering it in concern. At first I tried to turn it down but he insisted. Finally I agreed to have it draped over my shoulders. I couldn't bear the thought of trying it on and it not fitting, Yoongi was so slim. Even if the coat was oversized, it wasn't worth the risk.

We repositioned ourselves beside each other, facing the elevator doors. I could feel the warmth of his body beside me, he was close but not touching. I closed my eyes and re-started my breathing exercises as I felt my heart rate spike once more. He was going to kill me tonight.

Yoongi broke the silence this time. He turned his head to face me, I could feel his hot breath on my neck, raising my hairs. I slowly turned to face him, my heart thumping away despite my best efforts. When he spoke his voice was low and I could have sworn it was almost seductive.

"Do you know BTS?"

Dead.