4 - Even the Brightest of Suns Can go Dark

Song: Take You Down, Illenium

Fletcher Hallidans

"Ends are nothing but new beginnings"

Fletcher had lived in Carsden for a long time. He'd started a new life there, and had spent his youth getting to know the locals and figure out his place in the world.

Twenty four years he'd stayed in the town, and in that time he'd grown attached to the people, the town itself, and the surrounding area. He loved Carsden, and he felt like he owed the community a debt that he was more than happy to repay.

But, despite how small and reclusive the town was, Fletcher's life had been anything but peaceful.

When he was six years old, he'd had a vision. It was unlike anything he'd had before, or since.

In that vision, he saw a woman. He knew her name was Kira, and he knew that they were close friends. She stood before him, next to a pile of leaves thrown haphazardly into a pile. Each leaf had been different, and each leaf had glowed a brilliant orange.

He'd walked towards the pile, and with each step memories had trickled into his mind as if from a dozen waterfalls. He'd looked up at Kira, and she'd stared back at him with a gaze like smooth stone; harsh with a hint of softness that seemed to stem from familiarity. They shared a few words in that fleeting gaze. He had a feeling that they would soon meet again.

Fletcher couldn't remember if he'd ever reached the pile, but when he woke up the next morning, he remembered everything.

He remembered who he was, everything he'd been through, everything he could do.

He understood that this was his latest reincarnation after he'd suffered severe injuries at the hands of someone who he knew as Summer; someone like him.

The day before, if someone had said this to him, he would have taken it as a fairytale, rather than fact. It was a complete change, a whole new understanding of his world and the things in it. But, this wasn't like he'd had a strange dream. It was so deeply true and comfortable in his mind that he had no doubts that it had all happened.

He could remember himself, his past experiences, everything so vividly. Dreams just weren't like that.

From the following day onwards, Fletcher spent his time figuring out where he was and what had happened since he'd last been alive. Every time he reincarnated, the time difference from when he'd last been alive was different. It could be days, months, years, even decades. The visions never came at the same time either. The pile of leaves was a constant, but the person present changed with each dream. For the last two, it had been Kira.

Fletcher spent the next month or so working through what he knew and practising his abilities. It was difficult to work anything out without anyone else there who knew what he was going through; it was like he was trying to learn how to walk again, except this time he couldn't see.