one: just one day

Chapter one

-Just One Day-

KATHY

-

Living Like Ellie: A Beginner's Guide

"What the fuck do you want, Weatherbee." I snapped.

Step one: cuss at everyone like it's nobody's goddamn business.

"Miss Blake. Just the girl I was looking for." Holy shit. It was Hiram Lodge.

"Hiram Lodge, just the man my sister and I don't want to talk to ever again."

Two: Be as blunt as possible

"Speaking of... How is your sister doing after her ex's arrest?" He said.

"Fantastic. I presume. Only, he was my ex. Before your daughter stole him."

Three: hate everyone.

"Well," Mr. Lodge said, "You must be happy about my daughter being heartbroken. Your foster father, Fred Andrews must have you on the visitors' list."

"Screw you."

"Language, Miss Blake." Weatherbee said, "Tell her about the accident, Mr. Lodge."

"What fucking accident?"

"Seems someone told Minetta about Mr. Andrews' priors. Two DUIs to be precise." Hiram said.

"What are you..?"

The door opened, revealing Ellie, dressed as me.

"Ellie?" she said, "I've been worried sick about you." Her voice lowered to a whisper as she said, "Step four is never fucking lose your shit."

"Kathy, it's okay." I said, "Except we're being deported from Fred's."

"Stop lying to me, Ells."

"Tough shit hearing the truth, isn't it, Kath."

"Will you stop that? Stop acting like just because I'm the younger twin that I'm some stupid child." Damn. Ellie really knew how to bitch and moan as much as I do.

"Well maybe if you stopped seeing the best in everyone then nobody would have ever found out." I snapped, "Face it, Katherine. You said something to someone so don't tell me that bullshit that you didn't. You know for a fact I know you better than anyone. We know each other better than we know ourselves. So, I'll repeat myself: what did you say?"

Oh, I knew what she fucking said because I had said it two days earlier.

Ellie looked at me quizzically, "I uh..."

"You told Veronica about what happened to Fred." I said, "Jughead told me."

"Bullshit." Ellie whispered. She was always the best damn actress in our family even though I was a close second, "It was supposed to be between us. I didn't think she'd say anything to anyone."

I rolled my eyes at her, "Your damn lucky that I love you, Kat. Whatever happens, we'll do this together."

Sheriff Minetta waltzed in, "Now that's where you're wrong, Eleanor."

"I have a name. That's not it." I snapped.

"You're being separated." Minetta said, "An order from Mayor Lodge herself. And Ellie. She's offered to take you in. Kathy will go to Tent City."

"Ellie. Ellie, you gotta do something about this." Ellie pleaded, "You-you can't just separate us. That's not-"

"It's perfectly legal when it comes from the fucking mayor," I snapped, fully taking on her role, "I'll see you everyday at school and we promised Andrews we'd still show up at Pop's to see Jughead and Betty for him. So stop bitching and cheer up. We'll be separated for just one day. That's all."

Ellie hugged me and whispered, "I guess it's too late to switch back."

"Ha, ha. I guess you're right."