Chapter 4

Pivane has returned my lord.

     Obram rose from the table in his private dining room when he heard Malganadem's voice grumble through his mind. Dropping his food onto his plate and wiping his hands on his towel he picked up his wine goblet and threw the towel in the servant's face as he walked out the door. Excitement stirred in his veins as his steps hastened through the halls. He had been waiting as patiently as he could for Pivane's return, imagining what he would do the moment Crina was dragged through his door. Would he toy with her first or would he punish her? He knew she looked just like Ayleen and the things he had wanted to do to her could be done to her daughter with the same delight. He thought of having her husband watch, imagining that it would be Alsandair watching. Obram laughed out loud and increased his pace, almost skipping like a child. He was giddy at the knowledge that everything was falling into place as he had planned.

     Draining his wine goblet, Obram strode into his throne room and tossed it at the servant that had followed him. Ignoring the servant as he turned and left, Obram saw the tension evident in Pivane's posture and knew things did not bode well for him. As he passed Pivane, he refused to acknowledge him until he sat in his throne, his excitement fading so much more quickly than it had formed. Feeling the weight of his robe he tossed it off in annoyance as he turned and sat, his back straightening and his feet spread as if he were about to jump up if need be. Watching Pivane stare at the marble floor further boiled his blood and it took all his control not to snarl like a rabid animal.

     "Why are you alone Pivane? Alsandair's daughter should be standing before me right now. I told you what would happen if you failed me again." Obram's ire radiated from him, "Did I not make that clear enough for you?" He watched as Pivane squared his shoulders and straightened his posture as much as possible. Despite what he was feeling, Obram had to admit the change in Pivane had been better than he expected, although he did not like the constant thoughts of disobedience and contempt radiating from his mind.

     "It was unavoidable, my lord." Pivane scowled as Obram raised his hand as if to claw at him. His eyes shut against his will and falling to his knees Pivane grabbed at his throat, forcing his voice to work before the choke could break his neck, "The girl has returned."

     Obram hesitated, released his hold on Pivane and watched him fall forward onto his hands, "Impossible! The Oracle would have seen that, she would have told me." Obram's face fell as he felt the impact of what that meant and the overwhelming weakness creep into his bones for a split second. Recovering quickly, he focused on Pivane as he continued to speak about the events.

     "We had the prisoners in our possession, my lord. The girl arrived as we were leaving the house. She disarmed all of us at once and then the redhead used her powers as well." Pivane's face contorted in disgust, "She was being carried in the grasp of that traitorous dragon, Amarundia."

     "WHAT?" Obram watched Pivane sit back on his heels, sweat glistening on his face. Rising from his throne he descended the steps and stood directly in front of Pivane, sneering at him.

     "Amarundia killed the others. I only just escaped."

     "Bring the Oracle to me now! NOW!" He watched Pivane push himself to his feet, grab his throat, and slowly leave the room. Obram had surpassed any anger he had felt in the past. He saw only red in his eyes and felt his hands shaking uncontrollably, "Malganadem!" Obram walked out onto the balcony as Malganadem landed, head bowed when she caught sight of him.

     "Why did you not kill Amarundia? I told you if she interfered again that you were to end her life."

     I was not aware that you meant in all things, my lord. I believed that order to go along with setting the example for the people in Amarundia only. She did not interfere when I delivered your message to the boy and she did not interfere with Pivane and your guard going to Amarundia for he has returned, surely the guards have as well. What has she done, my lord?