Chapter 20

Brae stood outside the castle looking at the destroyed walls. The castle was completely exposed and nearly ravaged from their battle with Obram and his army. He was now able to see that the three towers that had fallen in on themselves would have destroyed anyone in and around them. Brae worried about all the innocent people that had been caught in the middle of this fight. He turned as Cera walked up beside him and put her hand on his shoulder. Blood continued to ooze from her neck every time she turned her head. Brae grabbed her shirt and yanked at the bottom, tearing off a long strip and held it up to the wound.

     "I'll be fine. We'll get some of that miracle paste on it later tonight."

     "We get to go home." Brae gave Cera a sad smile.

     Cera grabbed on to Brae's hand that now covered one of her cheeks, "We get to go home."

     They both turned at the sound of footsteps and crying. Rayen and Tarn carried Trill and carefully walked around the fallen castle stones, finding a few that were positioned in such a way that they were able to lay Trill in a reclined position. Crina kneeled in front of her and held onto her hand again. All five dragons slowly walked up behind the group and lowered their heads in respect.

     Brae.

     Brae turned, "Lauvallaria. I like that name much better."

     As do I. Trill had wanted me to give you a message. She was there when I woke. She asked me to tell you that she was sorry for how she acted the last time she was with you. She didn't want you to stop her from being the sacrifice that you needed to bring Ayleen forward. She didn't want you to know that she had been planning that before Cera had asked for the locket. She loved you very much, all of you.

     Brae blinked rapidly, nodded, and cleared his throat.

     "What do you want to do, Brae?" Cera stared at the sadness in his eyes and then the determination that took over him.

     "Destroy this castle. Ruling over these lands is over. Noa came from some distant land and proclaimed himself King. He was not royal by birth. These lands do not need a King. They only need the five of you. I also release you from your oaths, you all are released from this day forward."

     Everyone turned to stare at Brae, surprised.

     My lord, Lauvallaria looked to her sisters and then back to Brae, our oaths were given to the first King. Our oaths are meant to protect you and your family.

     "I don't need to become a King for you to protect me and my family. If you choose to protect us, that will be your choice. By releasing you from these oaths, should anything ever happen and there's another that seeks me out because of who my family was and attempts to oppose me or anyone in my family down the line, they will never have the right to use you for their gain. You all have been made to do things that go against your very being. All of you have been hurt because of this oath and I can't guarantee that history will not repeat itself."

     My lord, we learn from our past.

     "Yes, we do, and this is my choice. By not becoming King there should be no one to rise up against us or oppose me and my family. I don't want to fight anymore. I give you all the freedom to do as you've always done without the rule from one man, one woman, or his family. You all have always protected your lands to the best of your abilities and there has been peace when Obram wasn't involved. Lauvallaria, this is your land, your home. Protect it as you will. Let those that live on your land stay if that is what you choose, but it is your choice."

     No one argued with Brae's decision, everyone knew he meant every word.

     "Just one thing," Cera looked at Lauvallaria, "Does Brae have to become King to receive the memories of past generations?"