(1)

Breaking the News

MACKENZIE ZIEGLER ARRIVED HOME DRUNK. Very drunk. She'd been out partying with her best friend Lexi Jayde and boyfriend Brandon. She had just caught Brandon cheating on her and she'd had A LOT to drink that she totally forgot about, but only for tonight. She swayed, humming no certain tune, and slammed onto the door. She got off it and turned the door knob and stumbled into her house.

"Oh HEY MOM!" Kenzie yelled, smiling. Her mom was calmly swirling a glass of wine in her hand but when her 2nd daughter came home, she was shocked.

Melissa sighed to herself. "I'll just tell her tomorrow. After all, they'll only be coming the day AFTER tomorrow." Melissa dragged the drunken mess upstairs to her bedroom.

Next Day

Mackenzie's POV:

I WOKE UP OUT OF BED TO FIND MYSELF IN A VERY REVEALING BLACK DRESS. I groaned, realizing I had been partying last night. The pain stabbed my head from the alchohol. I shuffled off my bed and changed quickly into my sister's sweatshirt that I stole and tied on and messy bun.

I raced down stairs, starving.

"Hey! Isn't that mine?" Maddie pointed, munching on a waffle.

I quickly shook my head and snatched her waffle.

"HEY!" She exclaimed.

I shurgged.

Maddie huffed. "I'm gonna get ready for work."

She came out in a few minutes, totally freshened up. She had changed out of her grey Champion sweats into a white blouse and black pants. Her make up done and jewelry on.

"Wow? What's with the fancy look? Usually it's a crop top and jeans." I said, raising and eyebrow, still eating her waffle.

She laughed a bit and rolled her eyes, but she was smiling.

I was soon alone in the house. Nevermind, my mom had finally decided to climb out of bed and come downstairs.

"Where's Maddie?" She asked. She looked around the room.

I rolled my eyes. "Good morning to you too." I said sarcastically.

Mom raised an eyebrow. "She wasn't the one out late partying till 3 AM."

I nodded. True enough.

Mom sighed. "Anyways, I need to tell you something."

"Hmm?" I said, still chewing.

"We're moving." She breathed.

I spit out my waffle. "WHAT?"

"Sorry, Mackenzie. I know you have your friends and reputation and all that, but there's no changing the fact we must move. Your boyfriend wasn't that great anyway."

I groaned as I remembered she didn't have a boyfriend since last night.

"Plus, it's summer, a great time to move, and it'll be a very different change of scenery. We're going for Greg." Mom said. Greg is my stepfather.

"Where are we even going?" I scoffed.

"Let's just say... more like a farm." Mom said sheepishly.

"A FARM??!!!" I yelled.

"It's gonna be a good change for you. More nature, maybe it'll change what's going on these days." Mom says.

"Mom. Do you even know who I am? I'm like the most popular girl in my whole entire school!" I spat. "Leather jackets, ripped jeans, tube tops, bikinis, all that! Not boots, cowboy hats, and pigs!"

"We won't be keeping any pigs, cows, or that. We'll be planting crops: corn, wheat and more." Mom explained calmly.

"When?" I asked.

"Tomorrow." Mom replied.

My eyes widened.

"Mackenzie, you're actually taking this more calmly than Greg and I expected. Thank you, and we appreciate that. Honestly, I thought you'd run away." Mom said sincerely.

"Maybe I should run away." I said, putting my hands on my hips.

"Don't joke with me, Frances." Mom said, calling me by my most hated middle name.

I rolled my eyes and stormed upstairs. I wondered for hours: to say goodbye to my friends, or to not?

My mind wandered to considering to just telling my gay, most ultimate nest friend, Mandla Morris.

I decided against it, since it would out him in a lot of stress to not tell my other friends.