(2)

Moving

Mackenzie's POV

I WOKE UP, NOT TO THE SOUND OF MY ALARM, BUT TO THE SOUND OF MEN MOVING THINGS DOWNSTAIRS. The movers had already come. I looked around my room. All of my decorations, closets, even my desk was gone. Only me, my bed, and 2 large suitcases on the floor. I quickly tossed on a black hoodie over a white crop top and struggled to out on my ripped jeans. I curled my hair to tie it up in a ponytail and brushed on some light make up.

I raced downstairs. A group of men were huddled over the kitchen table. Some men were boxing things up. Others cutting tape and piling the boxes into the truck.

Mom came over to me. "Hi honey! They're almost done. Just your bed, the kitchen table and a little left of Maddie's room." She informed me.

"Where's Maddie?" I asked.

Mom shrugged. I went outside to the yard and Maddie was standing there, watching the movers take all of our things. Maddie was in a very big shirt and sweatpants. Under Maddie's eyes were dark bags and dried mascara running down.

"You didn't tell your friends, either." I said.

She nodded.

"Greg's not even here." I said.

"Already there." Maddie replied shortly and went back to staring at the truck silently.

I sighed and went back in. The movers were taping up the box for the kitchen table. I went to Maddie's room. Her once-was tidy, pretty, neon lighted room was now empty of any furniture.

The movers dragged the box and I stepped aside so they could get through.

"MADISON! MACKENZIE! WE'RE ALL SET, LET'S GO!" Mom hollered from downstairs. I rolled my eyes and hurried down stairs.

"Coming mom!"

I was asleep for all of the trip. I finally woke up when we arrived. I was so surprised. White roof houses, a few barns here and there, fences, grass, crops, cows, pigs, chickens.

"Don't tell me we're living in a hay barn." I muttered. Mom heard and scowled at me.

"Actually, Mackenzie, our new house is actually much bigger than the one before, and it is not a barn." She said.

We walked alongside of the fences of either animals or plants. Soon, we were in a blueberry bush pathway. It lead to a large, clean white house with a greyish blue for a roof. There was a white porch swing by the front door porch. White tinted framed glass was what was made of the front door.

"Wow." Maddie and I said at the same time. Mom nodded at us.

We walked in. The floor was surprisingly marble. The kitchen was almost 2 times the size of the ours in LA.

"Your rooms are upstairs. The third floor is the soon-to-be attic." Mom explained. Maddie and I walked up the white stairs. There were 3 bedrooms and 2 of them included their own bathroom.

I chose the 2nd room. I walked into it in amazement. On one side was a regular walk in closet. On the other was a white framed glass desk with a potted plant on the right hand top corner. The bed was in a corner. Suddenly, a man with a big box came in and dropped it off at my feet. It was marked KZ Deco.

I opened it up and pulled out my fairy lights. I hung it across my bed. I pulled out my framed quotes and hung them gently on the wall near the desk. I fully redecorated it.

"Maddie? How's your room going?" I asked as I walked into her room.

"Wow," I said. Her neon lights framed the bottom of her built-in closet, her light grey bed pressed on the left wall. She had a similar desk in one corner next to a big framed window and her pictures were hung on the walls.

"I know. It's great." Maddie beamed.