Chapter 1

Asher shook his head to relinquish the memory from his mind. He adjusted the scarf that was hanging loose around his neck and crossed the eeriely silent street, a couple of flourescent, white street lights illuminating high above him. It was late at night, sometime near midnight and there wasn't a trace of life on the street besides him at that moment; and thats honestly the way Asher preferred it. On his late night walks, he wanted to be alone, and anything that disturbed his momentary peace, was an unwelcomed diversion that he could not abide.

Tonight, unlike most nights where things went by uneventfully, he tasted something sinister in the air, an almost palpable feeling as he began to take silent, deep,slow breaths. He couldn't elaborate the unfamiliar feeling growing in the pit of his stomach, but he knew better to think lightly of it, his gut feelings were heightened beyond what any average mundane experienced. In the back of his mind, Asher knew something castastraphic was going to occur and things were not going to end the way he would have predicted.

Asher crossed another street, his strong, toned legs keeping him steady as they propelled him forward towards a dark, often unexplored alley. Normally he abolished the thought of entering such a dark and nasty looking alley, but knewe he had to venture it'd depth if he was going to find the place. As he neared the entrance, he removed his mask and ear muffs, knowing he would need all of his senses for where he was going.

It is mind baffling how hushed the night was for being such a major metropolis where close to twenty million plus people lived. Asher cringed as he heard glass being dropped to the ground about half a mile away, even for his abnormally hearing, that was absurd, it was that quiet. It was an almost scaring feeling and Asher had overheard some teens that were walking comment on how strange it was. But nothing could prepare them for what this night had in store for them, for there was going to be a assasination.

Asher surveyed his surrounds, checking to confirm the suspicion that he was being followed. Easing his way into the alley, he could barely glimpse the outline of to massive figures that were shrouded in the darkness. They had already heard him before he even approached them. The guard on the left stood about 7 ffet tall and held a very intimaditing large spear in his hand, dressed in what seemed to be yellow and blue striped rags to blend in with their unfortunate surrounding. The guard on the right had a similar  physique, but instead carried around an axe bigger than a tree trunk. Asher wasn't intimidated though, in fact the strange appearance of the guards in the alley only piqued his interest in what they were guarding.

Walking closer to the guards, he noticed that they were anything but a mundane; in fact they resembled that of a dog living on steroids. Asher let out a low breath to calm his nerves as he was getting to excited and should actually be expecting the worse. 

"Hello," Asher greeted. Niether of the guards moved. They remained poised in their position as if Asher didn't exist. A little aggravated by the lack of response, Asher attempted to hit the guard, but only cursed in pain as his hand began to throb from the impact of hitting a hard body.  The guard remained still as if a strike was never thrown at him. Asher had given up on the guards and decided he might as well walk past them, but as he walked past him, he had to duck from a incoming attack that came from behind him.

"Stop now peaseant or suffer dire consequences," the guard with the axe commanded.

"Oh now you reply!" Asher screamed. " You could have killed me mutt!"

Asher was only greeted with a glare of hatred from dark red eyes. He could hear a chuckling like noise come from the direction of the other guard. Letting his anger subside, Asher let out a low laugh  to himself. What was he getting into?

"I apologize for the sudden attack by my peer, as we are commanded to come to life a cease any intruders," the guard with the spear said. Giving his partner a glare. "Although we are told not to kill until further action is taken but I guess that punch hit a nerve. My name is Kane and his is Kel. We are the guardians to the door of  district 12 of Ele. Who are you and why are you here."

Speaking with ease, Asher responded " I am Asher, some man by the name of Zane, told me to come here at around midnight. He said---"

Asher was cut off by the swinging of an spear to his head, and for the second time in the past minute, the guards attempted to decapitate him. Not knowing what was going on, Asher ducked and rolled across the alley. 

"What was that for ?!" he asked

"Why do you lie on who sent you? Zane has been dispatched to find Baby D to restore the balance to Ele. He has no time to meddle with a mundane like yourself," The axe handed guard exclaimed as he swung at Asher's legs.

"I'm not lying. He sent me t-----" he seethed as he was again cut off by the incoming axe. focus your mind on your fist. transfer your power into it something in his head said, causing Asher to jump in surprise and almost get his head skewered by the rebounding spear. Who is in my mind? Asher thought to himself, while dodging a axe and spear simultaneously. Zane came the hollow reply playing in his head.

"WHAT!" Asher vented in rage causing the guards to momentarily stop to give him confused stares. Not minding them, Asher thought to himself. Where are you and why are they trying to kill me.  Asher demanded to know what was happening and he wanted the answers now. In do time, but first beat them. Now listen imagine your fist ablaze.

Now normally Asher didn't listen to what others said, but in his desperate situation and the remembrance of the pain that surged through him as he struck the mutt earlier, and as absurd as it sounded, he imagine his fist catching fire. Asher watched his fist that revealed that nothing had happened. Before he could regain composure, he was quickly greeted by the hilt of a spear that sent him sprawling on the floor. He attempted to get back up, but a foot planted on his chest and a spear grazing his neck told him to think better of it.

"Still sticking with that story," the guard quizzed.

Asher nodded his head with anger. He was not all pleased by the recent turn of events. Had it not been for the sudden pop up voice that came in his head, he could have escaped and came back another day, prepared. Asher watched as the guard shooked his head at him, flipped his spear over and brung it down hard on his heart. The last thing he remembered was the pain he felt in is chest as his heart began beating less and less.

The guard got up and released Asher from his clutches, walking back to his station. The other guard realized something was wrong. He realized this way to late the moment the once dark alley, was illuminated by a flame that flickered behind them. He