Chapter Six: Telephone Calls

Daisy was grateful when her and her mother reached home. The long trip out took it completely out of her mother who was asleep in her charcoal armchair. Daisy's eyes felt heavy as she dropped the damp towel and pulled on a pair of clean underwear and a fresh set of floral Cath Kidston pyjamas. Her eyes locked on the blinking red numbers on her digital alarm clock, 18:24.

A sigh left her lips as she grabbed her phone from her bed and slinked down the stairs. She knew that she was going to sleep well tonight after the long day had endured. She could hear the light snores of her mother and contemplated on waking her up.

If I wake her up now, she might wake up in a bad mood... If I don't wake her up, she won't sleep well tonight. Daisy battled with the reasons on why she should or shouldn't wake up her mother. She chucked her phone onto the sofa and slipped into the kitchen. She hummed to herself as she prepared a cheese and onion toastie for her and her mother. She hoped that the smell of food would wake her and that she would be in a pleasant mood, but she wasn't sure. Anything that was different could cause an episode and anything that was the same as usual could cause an episode.

Sometimes the whole treading on eggshells around her mother frustrated her. She wished more than anything that she could have her mother back, the relationship where they weren't shadowed by the disease that was eating away at her mothers' brain. Daisy pulled a knife out of the kitchen draw and collected the ingredients for the toastie she was going to make for their dinner.

Daisy heard the sound of vibrating and dashed to the living room, praying that whoever was calling hadn't woke her mother up. She scooped her smartphone up in her hand and swiped to the right without checking the caller ID. A smile graced her face as she noticed that her mother was still fast asleep.

"Hello?" Daisy answered the phone, her voice hushed as she stepped back into the kitchen.

"Hi, is this Daisy?" A soft voice asked.

"It is, who is this?" She queried, heat travelling up her neck and settling on her cheeks.

"A Welsh singer who you spent some of your morning with,"

He's Welsh! Daisy stifled a laugh, "I'm sorry I didn't recognise your voice, how are you Kyle?"

"I'm good, how are you?" He mused, Daisy's stomach growled.

She balanced the phone between her chin and shoulder as she opened the butter. "I'm okay. I'm really sorry that I had to dash out of our meeting so early this morning, I had a prior engagement that I had to be at," she rambled as she buttered two pieces of bread.

"I should be apologising, I was wondering if you were free tomorrow. I've got a rehearsal with the rest of the band tomorrow at the O2..." Daisy nodded her head, willing him to continue.

As she began to chop the onion on the side it dawned on her that she had just nodded to someone who couldn't see her. "I just nodded down the phone to you, I'm sorry," a nervous laugh left her lips.

"It's okay," he chuckled. "Perhaps you could come there before we start rehearsals, I promise there will be no screaming fans before the show at eight and that all paparazzi is banned from entering the arena... I'll be there from about three,"

"That sounds great Kyle, I'll meet you there at three?"

"Okay Daisy, I'll see you then sleep well,"

"Bye," she hummed as she hung up the phone.

Daisy placed the phone on the side after Kyle hung up on her. She placed the chopped onions delicately onto the buttered bread. She pulled open the cupboard below her and pulled out the cheese grater and began grating the cheese. A cough from behind her caused her to jump, the cheese grated clattering onto the floor.