Show of Spirit, again, and voices

I left her at the camp later, to go hunting again. I needed stuff to trade for clothes. I shot five squirrels, two rabbits, and two turkeys. I smiled. That was good. Back at camp, I put my kills in my back and grabbed my bow and arrows. "Where are you going? Can I come?"

"Sure, but be careful. You just might get to see something happen. If someone isn't careful, they could get hurt. Just wait," I said before she could ask.

I walked right back into the trading place and went to the counter. On the way, I saw another new guy. I wondered if I would really have to go through it again, just to get my point across. "Hey."

"You were here just thirty minutes ago. Need something else?"

"Clothes." I handed him one turkey, all of the squirrels, and two of the rabbits."Seven sets in my size." Before anyhting, I could hear a chair scrape across the floor and someone walk over. I clutched at my bow, ready to attack if needed. I swung around to face the new man. He didn't know me, so he'd better learn quick.

"What's a girl like you doing here? It's too big for a kid like you. Where are your parents?" he ased mockingly.

"You better watch what you say," I said. My hand was ready to aim the bow. "Learn quick or I'll teach you, the hard way." He laughed.

A man I knew, Tony, came over. "I know you're new and all, but listen to her. See that man over there? Not thirty minutes ago, she stabbed him for making commments like that. I am tying to help you. Don't learn the hard way." He had pointed to the man I recognized from earlier. "She may be a girl, but she's fiery. Don't mess with her. She's strong and determined."

The new guy looked at Tony for a moment, then backed away, making the better choice. I turned back to the counter just as Bill came back with my clothes. I thanked him curtly and left, with Jessie, going back to the woods. "What was that?"

"Like I told you, don't get on my bad side. Don't say something about me just c'cause I am a girl, or I'll teach you what I really am. That's what they learn." She looked shocked, but awed.

Never show them that you are scared. You cantake care of yourself. Don't let them put you down.' A voice was in my head. A memory, more likely. I remembered that. My dad had said it, before I left. Before all that had happened. I didn't even know if he was alive. Sometimes, emotion is not to be shown. It could be taken as weakness. They would want to take you for granted. Don't let them. Trust no one unless proven otherwise! You are strong. Show them that. Never give up. Always fight.

I kept my face blank as I listened, hoping for more, but there was nothing. I went into my makeshift tent and changed into my new clothes. They were worn in already, but comfortable and a perfect fit. They let me move freely, without restriction.

Ede, don't ever forget what you were taught. These things are importent.  Keep them with you! My father's panicked voice from that day broke through and I nearly broke down. Why is this happening now? It never happened before. My breathing became shallow. I stopped and looked at Jesiie. She looked a bit familiar. Maybe she was an enemy, or an old friend. I just could not place it. Who could she be?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I hope you like it. I put in a little bit of suspense. If you would like to guess who Jessie is, just say so in the comments.