Chapter One

Chapter One: Niall's POV

"I'll be back later," Liam said, nodding. "Where  are you going?" Lou asked curiously. "Just going out. To get my mind off Dani," he said quickly.

I nodded as he left, happy for the lad.

He was quite sad ever since they broke up. It wasn't the biggest shock for everyone; they had been drifting farther and farther apart lately. But Liam still had those nights where he couldn't get over her, crying and trying to call her. It really hurt to see him like this, but he was getting through it, slowly but surely.

He had also been spending a lot of time on the phone lately. Texting someone, and I don't exactly know who. It's not like I knew when each one of the boys were texting someone, or who they were texting everytime, but still.

"Hey Ni?" Harry asked. "Yeah?" I responded, shaking my head slightly to get all my thoughts out. "You know what?" He asked. "What?" I questioned. "Liam's been going out a lot lately, to 'get his mind off Dani.' Do you ever wonder if there may be another... girl?" He asked. I laughed lightly at Harry's 'thinking face': furrowed eyebrows and a small frown.

"No, Harry. I don't think he's with another girl. And even if there was, it's probably just a friend," I said. "Alright," he shrugged skeptically.

I went back to the telly and tried to stop wondering if there really was a girl.

**

"I'm starving," I whined. "And bored." Louis rolled his eyes but soon perked up. "Let's go to the mall," he smiled. "B-But... I want food," I said. "We'll get food there. Let's just go?" Lou said hopefully. Zayn and Harry shrugged. "There's nothing better to do," Harry agreed.

"Alright," I sighed. "Let's go." We were soon all piled in a car, heading to the mall.

When we finally got there, we were on our way to the food courts when something caught Zayn's eye.

"You guys? Doesn't that guy look a lot like Liam?" Zayn askd, pointing discreetly to the lad across the mall. Sue enough, he looked almost exactly like Liam, a buzz cut and the birthmark on his neck.

"I think... I think that is Liam," Harry said. "Oh! And see! He's with a girl!" Harry turned towards me, smirking. "See? I win!" I rolled my eyes and decided to text Liam.

To Li-Li: having some fun with a girl, are we? ;)

I watched as the lad finally recieved the text, before watching him look around quickly, probably looking for me.

When his eyes finally met us, he turned around and quickly whispered something to the girl with him.

Being the cheeky lads we are, Harry, Louis, Zayn, and I decided to go embarress Liam. But when we finally could see them clearly, I was shocked. Beyond shocked, actually.

"McKenzie? McKenzie Rain?" I asked, eyes wide. She cringed and nodded. "H-Hi Niall," she whispered, in her adorable American accent.

And I wasted no time. I quickly ran up and wrapped my arms around her, feeling the years apart we spent slowly melt away, like it didn't matter.

And it didn't. She was still McKenzie, shy and awkward, but in an amazing way.

But things were difference. And I don't mean to sound superficial, but she looked better. However, that wasn't the biggest change. She looked so... vulnerable. So broken, So pained. And I didn't like it.

When the hug was finally over, I smiled at my childhood bestfriend, recieving a weak smile back.

"I missed you so much," I whispered. "I missed you more," she said, eyes getting wet. I wrapped her in another hug and sighed in content.

McKenzie Taylor Rain. She was finally next to me again. She was finally there to laugh with and people watch.

"Niall? Liam? Would you like to introduce us to your friend?" Harry asked. I pulled away from the hug and coughed awkwardly.

"We've met," McKenzie spoke. "Some time ago, however. And, I didn't... I looked different," she said. "Wait, McKenzie as in the girl Niall had to have us meet?" Lou asked. "Yup. That's me," she smiled.

"I remember you now!" Harry exclaimed. "You looked different, I couldn't remember." Kenz nodded and bit her lip. "Yup. I deffinetely look different," she said. Liam put his arm around her protectively, and I felt a little jealous.

Not because he was touching her or all lovey dovey, but because I was supposed to be the best friend, that comforted her like that. That knew why she needed to be comforted.

 "I'm confused," Zayn said, furrowing his eyebrows. "Why is looking great a bad thing?" Kenzie took a sharp intake of breath and bit her lip.

She looked and Liam as he nodded encouragingly.

"Niall, you aren't gonna like this," she said slowly. "Promise you won't get mad?" She asked, holding up a pinkie. I wrapped mine around her's and nodded sharply. "I promise, Kenz," I smiled.

"It all started on New Year's Eve," she said.

"I was in New York, visiting my Dad. We were on our way to watch the ball drop, after I had begged him to take me to see it live for the first time. And, as you very well know, people like to drink on New Year's Eve, and it turns out one was stupid enough to drink and drive. Well, we got hit. I woke up, dazed and confused. However, I was awake, and my dad wasn't. I blamed myself, thinking that I should be the one in a coma, not him. That he should be smiling and laughing, with out a care in the world. But since I couldn't change what I did to him, I did it to myself. I starved myself, went for months without food," she took a deep breath and wiped the tears from her face.

"What I'm saying, Niall, is that you're mate is a recovering anorexic."

And she ripped it off like a bandage, quick and painful.

[A/N: most suckish first chapter ever, after such a long wait. I'm so sorry guys! i just had a lot of shiz nuts to deal with, but i promise, itll be worth it. still need two characters, by the way, so you know, comment if you're interested.

Name:

Age:

Personality:

Whatcha look like:

and ill pick the two most fitting people :P thanks ma turtles!!! Peace! xx, brooke]