seaside.|odasaku

odasaku/reader
note: post-canon. fluff. for
someone on ao3.

A beautiful white house by the sea, with huge, clear windows and billowy curtains as fragile as a spider's silk. The gentle scent of the ocean breeze was an ever-present guest in your home, flowing through the rooms and carrying the aroma of salt and dreams with it.

You yawned, sat up in your shared bed and stretched your arms out, glancing over at the polished chestnut table. There, you saw Odasaku, head bowed as he dipped the pen into the nearby pot of ink, the sound of the feather scratching against the paper catching your attention.

“Good mornin'“, you called out, swung your legs over the bed and walked to him, resting your chin on his shoulder with a smile. “Writing already? It's pretty early.“

“I know“, he replied absent-mindedly, obviously immersed in his passion. “But I woke up before you, so I figured why not to work some more and watch your beautiful face while you were asleep.“

To be honest, you didn't know how he could spin poetry so easily, as if it wasn't the hardest thing in the world to weave a wonderful tale, consisting of dew-eyed people and many-storied stars, or wine-dark sea and kiln-fired earth.

You grinned affectionately, nuzzling your cheek against his. “Oh, by the way“, you continued, “did Osamu sent you any more letters? I wonder how things are back in Yokohama.“

Odasaku hummed, setting his pen aside before rummaging around in the piles of manuscripts and opened letters, finally pulling out the newest one. “He did indeed, I checked the mail box earlier. Here, read it.“

You plucked the smooth paper out of his calloused hands- the hands of a true author- and started to indulge in tales of your former home.

As it seemed, everything was settled. The threat regarding Dostoyevsky had been successfully averted, the Agency and Port Mafia had organized a permanent truce (apparently, both organizations worked quite well when it came to protecting their city), and Dazai himself hadn't found a woman to commit a lovers' suicide with.

(As usual.)

You giggled at the last part, and, from the corner of your eye, saw the redhead's own mouth twitching in amusement, despite his usually neutral mien. Dazai really was a class of his own, wasn't he?

“I'm happy“, you stated after you finished folding up the paper to place it on the table. “I'm really happy, Oda.“

At your forlorn tone, he turned to you, a brow quirked up in worry. “(Y/n), what's wrong?“, he asked softly.

“Nothing, actually“, you answered, resting your cheek against your palm. “Everything is as it should be, I'm sure of that.“

A few seconds passed, laced through with the gentle sound of the wide, blue sea that never failed to enrapture both of you in the morning, that always made you stop and listen to its' song.

Then, Odasaku's hand rested atop your head, slowly smoothing out the stray wisps of (h/c) hair while you two gazed out of the window.

It was right at this precise moment, with his elegant fingers threading through your locks, that you came to realize why you loved the ocean.

His eyes. Those entrancing blue pools you loved, ever since that day six years ago, when he'd collapsed in front of your doorstep, heavily wounded and his clothes tattered.

“Hey“, you muttered, focus never leaving the waves outside. “Do you wanna go to Yokohama one day?“

“You mean to pay a visit?“

“I thought about... going back forever. To stay, settle down, build a life there. How does that sound for you?“

“It sounds perfect.“ A single sentence, coupled with his hand reaching down to intertwine with yours, had you marvelling at how much emotion Odasaku could convey through a mere, little gesture, or a single intent look.

You smiled, right as the sun bathed the scenery outside in an ethereal golden shine, the whole landscape looking like straight out of heaven.

“We should wake the kids“, he whispered, brushing over the back of your hand.

“Yeah, we should“, you agreed. “But... let's stay here, just a little while longer, 'kay?“

You've got all the precious time in this world.

゚:*:✼✿ ♡ ✿✼:*゚
hello yes i love odasaku and i'm crying over him again
also i have a maths exam soon and i'm lit rally dying-