Logging In

The next evening, Nathan fired up his new laptop and was shocked to find that everything had already been configured for him, just like the Boos had said. All he had to do was to insert his thumbprint into the sensor so that he could sign in without a password. After he set up the Wi-Fi connection, Nathan was taken to the home page. The desktop background showed a large Boo with violet eyes and a gleaming bejeweled crown.

King Boo, Nathan thought with a shudder.

Vicky waddled into the room. "Hey, Nate," she said. "How's the new computer treating you?"

"So far, so good," Nathan replied, kissing her on the lips.

"What's that creep King Boo doing on your desktop?" asked Vicky, making a face.

"I dunno," shrugged Nathan. "I'll change it later."

He opened the "Settings" tab and clicked the "Change Background" prompt. Unfortunately, all of the other choices were pictures of Boos.

"Huh," said Nathan. "I'll upload my own photo, then."

He'd come back to that later. Right now, he wanted to explore the laptop's other features.

First things first, he launched Google Chrome and opened the Napster web page, pursing his lips when he saw that the Username and Password fields were auto filled with someone else's information.

"KBoo2U?" asked Vicky. "Who's that?"

"Whoever he is, he probably forgot to reset the data on this thing," Nathan replied, rolling his eyes.

"Yeah, probably," mused Vicky.

Clearing the data, Nathan signed into his Napster account and scrolled down the list of his favorite songs, picking one at random.

"'Crab Rave'?" asked Vicky. "Really?"

The two of them laughed.

As the music played, Nathan synched his Google, Facebook, Microsoft and OneDrive accounts to his new computer. He used the Dell Mobile Connect feature to link his phone. Then, he browsed through his photos, looking for the perfect replacement to his current desktop photo.

"How about—this one?" Vicky piped up, pointing to a picture of the two of them together, looking so in love.

"It's kinda mushy—but—yeah," grinned Nathan, selecting the photo and clicking "Save".

Yet when he closed all of his windows—the desktop was still of King Boo grinning evilly at him.

"Okay—let's try again," muttered Nathan.

He did so, but with the same result.

And the same result happened after trying several more times.

"That's weird," said Vicky.

"I just don't want King Boo's face grinning at me every time I fire this thing up," said Nathan. "Eh—whatever. I'll just try not to let him get to me. He's trapped in a vault, anyway."

"True," said Vicky.

The engaged couple fooled around with the laptop for a bit, using the camera function to take selfies and record videos and then creating a Halloween playlist.