Chapter 9

Shadow's POV

The fucker deserves to be killed. He put his hands on a woman. That was enough for a death sentence. The fact he touched a woman under our protection, meant he earned himself a torturous death. It was extremely hard for Princess to move around the compound. Stairs were nearly impossible for her to use. Today her brother would be back, and the two of them will be staying here. It was going to be cramped in Sky's room, but none of them seem to mind.

Sky was gone to pick up Jeffery from the airport while Princess sat in the common room watching TV. I had brought my dogs over to get them out of the apartment and now they were on the couch with her, enjoy all the attention in the world from her. She didn't seem to mind a large pitbull or husky practically crushing into her. She seemed to be enjoying it actually. She didn't even care when they licked her face. Sky came in with Pretty Boy who had a busted lip. Sky looked like her jaw was starting to swell.

"What the hell happened to you two," I asked them. "The airport is no longer fucking neutral territory," Sky said. "The Reapers have taken claim of it. Apparently Bush died during a bust and Rad became President and he said to hell with the damn treaty we made. They attacked us in the fucking parking lot." I nodded, "I'll inform Joker, you two go get cleaned up." "Just what we need," Gambit grumbled under his breath. "Joker isn't going to like hearing about this." I nodded and left the compound to go around back to Church. Joker was at his desk doing paperwork when I went in.

"What's up," He asked while looking up from it. "The Reapers changed Presidents and took over the airport. A couple of their members jumped Sky and Pretty Boy as they were leaving. Only a few scuffs and bruises, but nothing major. Apparently Rad said to hell with out treaty," I explained to him. His jaw clenched and he nodded, "I want you and Gambit to do surveillance to see how much neutral territory they've taken over." I nodded, "We'll go tonight." He nodded, "And Shadow, I need to warn you. Kelly is back in town with a little girl who looks a lot like you." I froze, feeling my heart skip and a feeling of hatred come over me.

Kelly was a woman I was going to declare as my Old Lady, until one day she left without a word. It's been five years since I had seen her. "How old," I asked him. "Five years old," He told me, while handing me a file. "I got all of the information I could on her." I took it and opened it up. Harlene Grace Lewis, the birth certificate read. The name was a stab to the heart. Once Kelly and I had talked about the future, and what we would name our kids if we had any. I had wanted a daughter named Harley, but Kelly made the declaration that we weren't naming our daughter after a motorcycle company. She said she didn't mind naming her after Harley Quinn though after she fell in love with the movie Suicide Squad.

I turned to the next page and saw it was of Kelly's latest address. I took the file and left Church to go find her and get the answers I deserved.

I pulled up to the crappy apartment complex that was on the worse side of town and got off of my bike. I went up to the third floor and went down to the fourth door. I felt my gut clench as I knocked on the door. I waited a moment before the door opened. Kelly was standing on the other side looking like hell. Her cheeks were sunken in, her eyes looked dead. "I see you found out," She sneered coldly. "Where is she," I asked her. "She who," She asked me. "Harlene," I told her. "What do you want with her," She asked me next me. "To see if she is my daughter," I told her. "Of course she's yours Shadow. She's the whole reason I ran. I was scared. She would be a permanent tie to you, and that's not something I wanted," She told me. "I didn't love you Shadow, I was just using you for the protection you offered and your money. I knew you felt differently though, and you wanted to declare me as your Old Lady, and that's not something I wanted." Everything she said was a stab to the heart.

"Why did you come back," I asked her. "Because I'm dying," She replied softly. "I don't have any family who can take her, and I knew if I came back you would find out and come looking for us. I have stage four breast cancer, doctor said that we caught it to late so now I only have a couple of months left." "Where is she," I asked her. "Clawson Elementary," She replied. "Meet us here at three thirty, and you can take her." She went to shut the door and I stuck my foot in the way.