the snow falls

It was the tenth day of December.

Angel Alice Angelica and Regulus Black walked down the streets of Godric's Hollow, the church bells ringing far away.

He had decided to show her the village (for he had always loved it there), and she had wrapped his jacket around her (though her wings made sure it wouldn't fit).

A snowflake fell to the top of Alice's head; a second one on her nose; a third on her wing. Regulus peeked over his scarf that was pulled up beyond his pink nose to watch her raise her eyebrows and let out a shriek ━ she quickly shook her wings to make the snowflakes fall to the ground.

"What is it? Have you never seen snow?" he asked and a small smile formed on his face.

"Snow?"

Regulus reached out a gloved hand. Five snowflakes fell on it.

"This - this is snow." he explained. "If you look closely, you will see that none of the snowflakes look alike. They are all different."

Angel Alice took a step closer to look at what he held in his hand. But when she tried to lean in closer, she managed to slip on ice ━ she fell forward, trying to catch her balance but failing miserably, ending up falling in Regulus' arms.

She looked into his dark eyes, and he looked right back, red-faced. A warmth spread in her chest.

"Do you know what I want to do?" he whispered, his face inches away from hers. As she shook her head, he continued, "I want to show you how amazing this the snow and the winter can be."

Inside a house to their left sat a happy family; a woman and a man, one with bright red hair, one with round glasses, preparing for Christmas, stacking up presents. Beside the entrance to their home, stood a wooden sled. With a flick of his wand, it came flying Regulus' way ━ he let go of Alice to catch it.

"That looks dangerous." she muttered.

"That's because it is," he answered, smiling wider than she had ever seen him smile. "You're lucky I am here to protect you try to keep close to me, will you?"