Part Sixteen | I Wish Some Nights Lasted Forever

Clementine: Hey Vi, how's my wonderful girlfriend doing this afternoon?

Violet smiles as she re-reads the text, careful to keep an eye out for her boss who's weaving between the office stalls, checking those under her supervision. Completely smitten, Violet draws her phone to her chest, smiling to herself as she thinks over how she should reply.

Violet: You're too sweet, are you still coming over tonight?

The blonde lifts her head and reads through her emails, feeling the time drag as she waits for Clementine to reply. The smile that grows on her mouth when her phone vibrates diminishes slightly as she reads the incoming message.

Louis: Hey Vi, feels like I haven't seen you in ages, loads of us are having a gathering at my apartment later tonight, you should come.

Violet: I'm actually seeing Clementine tonight Lou; I've sort of already made plans.

Louis: Oh so your mystery girlfriend does have a name.

Violet: Don't play dumb Lou, I told you all about her last week.

Louis: Regardless, why don't you bring her? I know we'd all love to meet her.

Violet pauses for a moment, wondering if Clementine is ready to meet her friends, or if it's too soon. The two women have been involved for over two months now so under normal circumstances Violet would say yes. Though the circumstances of Violet and Clementine getting together are far from normal.

Violet: I'll ask her.

Violet drums her fingers along the edge of the table while she thinks of how best to ask her girlfriend if she'd like to attend her best friends party, instead of the two women hanging out together, alone.

Violet: Hey Clementine, instead of coming to mine tonight, do you want to come with me to meet Louis and my other friends. His apartment has a rooftop pool if that's an added incentive.

To Violet's surprise her girlfriend texts her back almost immediately, it soothes the nerves that are building in her stomach. Though she couldn't imagine the brunette would turn her down, Violet can't help but worry.

Clementine: Well if there's a swimming pool then I'm sold, I'll meet you at your apartment when you're home from work.

Violet smiles, reading the text over and over again as she reassures herself in Clementine's words. Looking around the office for any sign of her supervisor, Violet quickly taps out her response to both her girlfriend and her best friend.

Violet: Sounds great Clementine, thank you for agreeing to come.

Violet: Okay Louis, I'll come to your party later, and Clementine has agreed to come as well.

Louis: Sounds exciting, I'd better buy some more champagne.

Violet shakes her head as she struggles to contain her smile. Placing her phone on the desk Violet rests her chin in the palm of her hand, smiling to herself as she lets her gaze move to the view of Boston city that lies just outside of her window.

-

"What kind of gathering is this?" says Clementine as she pulls an assortment of dresses from her wardrobe, smoothing down the silken fabrics as she lays each dress flat against her duvet. Violet sits in the small chair in the corner of her girlfriend's bedroom, leaning forward in her seat as she observes the beautiful gowns and cocktail dresses that Clementine removes one at a time from her closet.

Clementine turns to look at Violet who has remained silent through her questions. When she takes in the look of awe on her girlfriend's face she giggles lightly. "Hello," she says, drawing out each letter in a sing-song manner, "earth to Violet."