The Last Dragon Lord

Balinor
Before

Death came that night, that dark night, the night of the slaughter. Men and women were killed with no mercy, leaving stains of blood on every window and door. Some were brought to the city to be judged, but others were just killed.

And there was Balinor, alive and standing. He was a young man, dressed in dirty old rags, brown pants and a coat made out of bear fur. He was wearing a black belt with a small dagger hanging from it. He had a short beard he'd been trying to grow since he turned into an adult, he was a little vain. He looked young, but his eyes said something else... he had an old man's tired look, dark and full of memories. He'd seen and suffered more than any sane person can face in a lifetime.

He had seen it all, and he blamed himself for all the lives that were lost that night, for the King was looking for him and only him. It had been a time of darkness for all sorcerers since Queen Ygraine had passed away and King Uther had blamed sorcery for it. He and his men had killed every man, woman and child who practised any kind of sorcery. Some hid and some escaped to the neighbour realms when they still could, but some weren't as fortunate.

When the King's men were gone, Balinor took a ladder and got down the rooftop he'd been hiding on. His legs and back ached a lot for running for a long time. He felt tired and about to faint.

"Tristan! Marylin!" Balinor called, but got no answer.

"I'm alive! We did it! We can leave now!" he shouted while he looked for both of them inside the house. They were a married couple who had given Balinor shelter for the last three nights. They had always dreamt about leaving the village and finding freedom, so Balinor told them all about the dragons and magic and he promised them that he would lead them out of the village into the unknown.

He kept looking everywhere in the house while calling their names but they weren't anywhere.

"It's safe to come out! It's over! The King's men are all gone! Tristan! Mar..." his voice broke at the sight of blood.

Suddenly, he felt numb. He couldn't feel his body. He could feel tears running from his eyes, slowly falling. This can't be, he kept telling himself. And then he saw them, their lifeless bodies, with their heads inside an old wooden bucket they kept in the small kitchen. They were dead, both their necks cut open. He moved closer and saw both of their lifeless faces, so full of fear. They had only wanted to help.

He knew he couldn't stay there any longer. If he had had time, he would've given them a proper burial, but there was no time. There was nowhere he could be safe anymore. He knew he had to flee.

He closed his eyes and thought, May your spirit find peace. He ran toward the nearest hill. His legs burned, but he cared no more. He remembered what his father had told him one day: Let them know you're their master. Let them know they're one of your own kind.

He arrived to the top of the hill and closed his eyes. Please be right this time father, he thought, and he spoke in the ancient speech of the dragons. He felt the words flow, ancient words of power and wisdom. He felt as if he'd always known the speech.

Suddenly, he felt a rush of wind slightly touching his face. Not cold wind, warm wind. Like if it were full of fire.

He opened his eyes and saw nothing. Just the empty hill he'd been standing on. He turned his back and started walking down the hill. I knew he was wrong.

Young man, he heard someone say from far away. He felt a chill running through his spine. He turned, but there was no one. The hill was empty. Relieved, he sighed and kept walking.

Young man, he heard again, this time even louder. This time he turned and saw it: the creature. The creature his father had told him about. The creature whose origin was unknown, even to the high priestesses of the Old Religion. The Great Dragon.

It was flying toward the hill, gracefully but fiercely at the same time. It landed on the hill, blew fire through his nostrils and bowed in front of Balinor.

Balinor covered his face with both hands. The heat of the fire was too much to handle. He hated to admit it, but he was terrified. It had been ages since he had last seen a dragon.

Relax, he remembered his father telling him,When you fear it no more, it will be yours completely.

"Young man", the Dragon began, "you've summoned me and I come to your aid. I'll do whatever you tell me to do. For you are my Lord, and I must do as you say."

Balinor remained quiet. He didn't know what to say. It was too much for him, he had never had control over anything, not even his own life.

The Dragon raised its head. "What is it that you would like?"

"Freedom!" he said without hesitating. "I care for no more than the freedom of my people and I! Make the Old Religion come back!"

The Dragon laughed.

"I'm serious, you beast!", he shouted. He felt offended, no one ever made fun of him. "Go to Camelot, to the palace and set everything on fire. Go and avenge us!"

"Do you have any idea of what you're asking for?", said the Dragon. "You're asking for the same thing King Uther's men are doing to your people. Think about it, my Lord, you won't be doing any good to an..."

"I care no more", Balinor snapped. "I want them all dead."

"As you wish, my Lord", he said hesitant and bowed.

Balinor felt a sense of relief after the dragon told him that. It would be easier to take the King out of the picture than he expected. "I shall depart now. I am no longer safe in this village." he finally said. "Farewell!"

"Farewell, Last Dragon Lord.", The Dragon said and opened its wings, ready to take flight to Camelot.

"Just", Balinor said when The Dragon was about to leave. "Tell me. How shall I call you?"

The Dragon looked at him. "No one, in two-hundred years had ever asked me my name", it looked down and said, "Kilgharrah is my name." it looked up and straight to Balinor's eyes he said, "And, in gratitude I shall give you the greatest gift my kind can give to a man. I shall give your first born the maximum power in this land, he'll be the greatest man to ever walk the Land. That, young Dragon Lord, is my gift for your family."

Balinor laughed a little bit. "Me? A son?" he said, still laughing. "I doubt that. It's impossible, I can't settle in and have a family! I'm a runaway! You're just trying to mock me!"

"That, we shall see." Kilgharrah said taking flight once again. "Our paths will cross again, I assure you that. May the goddess be with you,  Last Dragon Lord!". 

And so he left, leaving Balinor all by himself, in the soft light of dawn. The Last Dragon Lord, he thought as he saw the sun coming out, I must carry on. Let's see what fate has planned for me this time.

He didn't have a destination, but he believed fate would take him wherever he needed to go to.

After minutes of walking, he turned back and saw the village no more, just trees and emptiness.

He was alone.

All over again.