Chapter 3: How Many Lashes?

Dee and Coran walked into the infirmary, standing tall and strong, but not for long. Dee let go of Coran's hand and gasped. Coran, however, showed no sign of any emotion. Her face was like stone as she strode over to Murtagh, laying on an infirmary stretcher. As if she knew what he had done, she lifted his tunic. Carved with a knife into his chest were the words; betrayer, liar, and disloyal. Coran's face drained of all it's color. "I don't understand." she said in a low voice. She brushed a strand of stray hair off of the unconscious Murtagh's face. "He was so...strong. Why would he do this to himself?" Coran said disbelievingly. Jake came over to her and put his arm around her shoulder. "Coran." Jake said, in no more than a whisper. "You have to remember that his mind was invaded. People do crazy things when that happens." All it took was the mention of he word crazy. Coran pulled away from Jake, whirled around and glared at him in such a way that everyone in the room got scared. Black fire swirled around not only her fingertips, but both of her arms were now covered to the shoulder in a shadowy inferno. "You think that he's crazy?" she asked.

Her voice was calm and controlled, but that was worse than yelling. Coran's eyes narrowed and she clenched her hands, extinguishing the flames. she exhaled slowly and then turned once again toward Murtagh, still out. "Then you're wrong." she said quietly, her voice filled with longing, regret and sadness. "Everyone except Dee, leave NOW!" Coran suddenly said loudly. As everyone filed out of the infirmary, Dee ran to get supplies for Murtagh's wounds. Just then, Marc burst into the room. "Coran, I just wanted to tell you -" Marc broke off as he took in the horrible sight of Murtagh's mutilated chest. He blinked, shook his head, and then continued. "...As I was saying, I just wanted to deliver some news." Dee made herself useful, cleaning Murtagh's wounds, and Coran glared at Marc. Marc looked away sheepishly, then said, "Murtagh needs to be punished." Coran looked at him strangely, and then, surprisingly, said, "Okay. How many lashes?" Dee looked at her with wide eyes. "Coran!" Coran turned around to face Dee. "Dee, he wronged you, he wronged me, he wronged everyone in this whole f*cking League! If the League doesn't show some discipline for traitors, then we're nothing!" Coran now turned back around so she was face-to-face with Marc again. Marc nodded approvingly. "I couldn't have said it better myself." Coran showed no sign of acknowledgement, but instead repeated, "How many lashes?" Marc paused for a moment. "Thirty-five." He finally said. "Because I'm giving you a week, to get him cleaned up." He motioned to Murtagh, now getting his wounds bound by Dee, still trying to ignore the conversation. Coran nodded. "That's fair. Thank you." Marc nodded, and walked out of the room. Dee gave Coran an incredulous look as she gave a cold glance in Murtagh's direction, and stalked out of the infirmary.

So much for Friends Forever.