Chapter 11

The prison cell was completely lifeless. Murtagh was sitting in the corner, not moving, while Coran was trying to jump up and look out of the high window. Murtagh could have helped her, but one look at the expression on Murtagh's face was enough to discourage her. Suddenly, a tray was pushed through a slot in the door. It consisted of stale water, meat so rancid the flies didn't even want it, and a half-decent chunk of bread. Before the guard could leave, Murtagh jumped up, and ran to the door.

"Where the hell are we? Who are you?!" Murtagh screamed, but to no avail.

Murtagh slunk back to his corner, and Coran went to the food. She took a small chunk of bread off of the loaf, and slid the tray over to Murtagh, who promptly kicked it away. He then curled up into a ball, and hugged his knees, rocking back and forth. Coran crawled over to him, and bent over to look into his face. It was brooding, and she was surprised to see that his normally calm face glistened with tears.

"It's okay, Murtagh." Coran said soothingly. "Everything's going to be okay, you'll see."

At those words, Murtagh burst into tears, shoulders shaking with sobs. Coran wrapped her arms around him, and held him. Then, she touched his hand, and a flood of memories encircled him.

Two children fled a high tower. One, a boy, had black hair and a hand-and-a-half sword. You could tell by the expression on his face that he would use it. The second, a tall girl, the boy's age, had a dangerous looking black sword. The third person with the two kids was a middle aged servant by the name of Tornac.

"Hurry, Murtagh!" the girl cried as the boy fell behind. Tornac ran back and scooped up Murtagh, and put him on a gray colt. He then scooped the girl, Coran, up and put her on a beige colt. He slapped the horses, and they sped away, just in time to see an arrow pierce through Tornac's chest.

Murtagh looked back, and screamed,"No! Tornac!" while Coran just shook her head, crying silently.

Years later, Coran and Murtagh were both fugitives of the Empire. They had traveled together for years, but now..

"NO! Coran! Listen to me!"

"Murtagh, PULEEZ! That's how you always wanted it! YOUR way!"

They turned away from each other, Murtagh heading into the forest, where a blue dragon and her Rider sat for the night, while Coran walked back toward Gil'ead.

Coran pulled her hand away from Murtagh, eyes wide, breathing hard.

"Murtagh, I didn't mean to-when I'm upset-I-" Murtagh stood up, smiling. He wiped tears away from his face.

"No, I think that's just what I needed."

He walked to the door, looking determined, and murmured a spell. A lock clicked, and the door swung open without a creak. Murtagh and Coran both snorted.

"Amateurs." Coran said. "You NEVER oil prison doors." Murtagh nodded in consent, and the two ran down the hall, straight into someone. They all fell to the floor in a tangle. Murtagh and coran jumped up quickly, and gazed upon the person still struggling to get up. Murtagh gasped.

"Nasuada?!"