Rohit's wakefulness

The second Test had begun, and to everyone's temporary relief, the captain and vice captain seemed fairly normal right from the morning.

India was batting first, and Rohit and Virat were together at the crease after lunch, decimating the opposition at will.

They kept meeting in the middle of the pitch every time either of them hit a boundary, laughing among themselves.

Rohit reached his 100, and Virat hugged Rohit fiercely just like he normally did, because in this respect at least, he and Jinks were perfectly identical.

Rohit was secretly hugely relieved at the normalcy between them again and when Virat entered the 90s, another perfectly normal Virat-Rohit thing happened--Rohit ran Virat out.

This time instead of being relieved, Rohit was horrified (because it was his fault), miserable (because Vi missed the 100!) and scared (because Virat was going to yell at him so much today).

Virat walked off without saying anything, and Rohit stared after him mournfully.

___________

After stumps that day, Rohit slouched into the dressing room and his eyes straightaway found Virat's.

"I'm so sorry, Vi, please don't be mad at me," said Rohit.

The dressing room braced for the impact.

And...

"Course I'm not mad, Ro, it happens," said Virat.

Rohit's eyes widened as he stared at his best friend, beginning to wish that he had yelled, because this wasn't Virat...

"Why are you so stupid while running between the wickets?" snapped Jinks.

Everyone around shrank back at Jinks' tone.

"Jinks--I--" began Rohit nervously.

"Not that personal milestones matter, but Virat missed a century because of your usual dimwittedness--"

Jinks was making up new words on the spot as well now, noticed Jaddu with wonder.

"--and someday it's going to cost you so much more..." continued Jinks fiercely, not giving Rohit the chance to reply.

"Jinks!" interrupted Virat. "It's all right, let him be! He has batted all day, he must be tired, aren't you, Rohit?" he asked, turning to his best friend, whose face had gone white.

"A--a bit," muttered Rohit.

"Go and sleep, then," snorted Jinks. "What else can you do anyway?"

Virat made a placating gesture at Jinks with an air of finality and Jinks, still muttering furiously, subsided.

______________

Kuldeep and Yuzi stared badgering everyone after dinner that day to play Pubg (as usual).

Rohit turned to Virat expectantly, because though Rohit was a terrible player in all video games, Virat let him tag along in his team all the time.

"You can play," said Virat. "I don't feel like playing much."

As Pubg was Virat and Bhuvi's greatest strength and favourite pastime, Bhuvi looked greatly dismayed, but he didn't have time to ponder on it, because Jinks quickly jumped in, saying, "Yes, let's play! We can be in the same group, Ro!"