DEATH OF ROBERT, DUKE OF CLARENCE

14 AUGUST 2003

We interrupt this film to tell you we are getting reports that Robert, Duke of Clarence, has been killed in active duty in Iraq.

———

Death of Robert, Duke of Clarence

THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS ISSUED BY THE PRESS SECRETARY TO THE QUEEN

The Queen, with the greatest sadness, has asked for the following announcement to be made immediately.

Her beloved son in law, The Duke of Clarence, died in active duty during Operation Telic in Iraq.

Princess Helena, Duchess of Clarence has asked for the following statement to be made immediately.

My children and I are deeply saddened by the death of our dear husband and father. Robert was a striking personality with a warm heart. With his musical drive, talent, and passion to help others and service, he touched so many. We cherish the many beautiful memories of him. He will be missed by many at home and abroad.

———

Helena and Charles Accompanies Robert Back Home to a Grieving Britain

Prince Charles and Princess Helena, Duchess of Clarence brought the body of Robert, Duke of Clarence, home tonight to a nation convulsed with grief over his death in Iraq.

The funeral for Robert, Duke of Clarence will be held on 18 August.

———

18 August 2003

Funeral of Robert, Duke of Clarence

The public funeral of Robert, Duke of Clarence occurred on 18 August 2003 in Westminster Abbey in London, following her death on 14 August 2003 at the age of 34.

The funeral was held in London. It started at 9:48 am on 18 August 2003, when the tenor bell of Westminster Abbey sounded 34 times, each chime representing a year that the Duke of Clarence had lived.

The coffin was then taken to the Abbey, about 300 metres away, accompanied by a massed pipe band of 128 musicians drawn from 13 British and Commonwealth regiments.

The following members of the Royal Family followed the procession: Princess Helena, Duchess of Clarence, The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles, Prince Andrew, Princess Anne, Prince Edward, Prince William, Prince Harry, Viscount Linley, Peter Phillips, Daniel Chatto, The Duke of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent, Prince Michael of Kent and Timothy Laurence.

Also accompanying the royal family were members of the Kidman family and some of his senior household staff. During the funeral the Union Flag flew at half mast over Buckingham Palace, and her own personal royal standard at St James Palace (the Duke of Clarence's official London residence since 1990.)

After the funeral, the Duke of Clarence's personal standard was lowered for the final time.

The doors of Westminster Abbey were first opened at 9:45 am, and the first of the 2,200 guests arrived; most of the guests were in their seats by 10:30 am. Five minutes later, VIPs and heads of state began arriving via the Great West Door. At 10:40 am, the bearer party of the Irish Guards arrived at Westminster Hall, positioning themselves outside the North Door.

A guard of honour was mounted by the Nijmegen Company of the Grenadier Guards, and the members of the Royal Family walking in the funeral procession arrived from Buckingham Palace and St. James's Palace.

Royalty who were not in the procession arrived at the Grand Entrance of Buckingham Palace.

———

My family and I are deeply touched by the outpouring of love and support from so many people who have touched our lives during these past few days

We have felt your love for Robert, and your prayers and compassion have helped us during this most difficult time... more than you'll ever know. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

We will never forget all of the kindness that you have bestowed upon us. On behalf of our family, with all of our love.