THE FOUNDING FAMILIES

The founding families are the four richest clans in the Philippines. They are considered old money, their wealth dating back to colonial times. They control major industries in the country, and also have huge influence in the country's economy and politics.

· The Luifranco– the most powerful in terms of power, business and influence; the leaders – known to be the most ruthless of the bunch, and feared throughout the Philippines. The Luifrancos play dirty. They also have power and influence over the Philippine military and police.

Claim to fame: [minerals-based industry] Oil and mining, timber, steel manufacturing, and arms business. 

Patriarch: Frederick Luifranco

· The De Verrazanos –  The most active and the most respected in Philippine high society with famous family members engaged in showbusiness – from artists to models to athletes.

Claim to fame: [entertainment and media] Telecommunication and media companies, five-star hotels and resorts, and Michelin-star-restaurants throughout Asia.

Matriarch: Divina De Verrazano

· The Ocuengcos – most powerful political family in the Philippines, based in Davao and Cebu.

Claim to fame: [agricultural and manufacturing industries] vast coconut, banana, mango and other fruit plantations across the country, with thousands of hectares of vineyards in Italy and the US. They are also engaged in the Philippines' import-and-export business. 

Matriarch: Elena Ocuengco

· The Esquivels – the most private and lowkey of the four families – engaged in intelligence and the military and arms business (alongside the Luifrancos) in the country. They are the more foreign-oriented family as compared to the previous three, with businesses and investments established across the world.

Claim to fame: [transportation and technology] aviation and marine, from planes to jets to cruises to ships. The beast in the transportation industry, and the production of automotive and motor-vehicles. Leader in Asian technology.

Patriarch: Laurel Esquivel