Chapter 4: Feels Like Home

I had just finished explaining everything that had happened with Warren to a very perplexed Uncle Ralph while Azazel went to get the first aid box. I couldn’t help but feel as though Uncle Ralph was a little disappointed with me. He was probably the only adult who cared about me enough to listen to my sappy story of how Warren abused me. He loved and cared for me enough to make me forget sometimes that I don’t have a father. The fact that I disappointed someone like him made my stomach sink.

“Azazel, would you please take care of that burn while I go meet Mrs Reese?” Uncle Ralph was furious and that was very new to me, because in the 11 years that I’ve known him he has never once been this angry. Why the hell is everyone so angry today? 

“Take some rest sweetheart, I‘ll be right back.” With that and a kiss on my forehead, he rushed out of the house.

Azazel was back with the first aid box and I was told to lie on the couch. I was now lying down on a couch in my best friend’s house, all alone with a stranger who was going to clean my wound that was given to me by my abusive foster brother. Wait-a-go Fallen, you’re living one heck of a life.

“Uh..may I?” He asked hesitantly for my permission as he held the hem of my shirt. I nodded and he pulled up the shirt slowly just enough to reveal the nasty wound. At least I wasn’t the only one to feel awkward. 

I saw his jaw clench in anger at the sight of my waist. I was feeling incredibly insecure at the moment. My waist was exposed to one of the most attractive guys I’d ever seen, no wait..the most attractive guy I’d ever seen, but it wasn’t much of a sight because of the blistering wound and the other hideous scars that surrounded it. I could feel the air around me starting to warm up as my cheeks flushed in embarrassment.

He carefully placed a cold wet towel over the wound and I flinched from the sudden change in temperature. I got reminded of what had happened earlier when we were waiting for Uncle Ralph to open the door. I still couldn't get rid of the strange feeling of the sudden rush and the pain vanishing right after he had touched me.

“I’m sorry, I’m not really sure how to treat a burn. Never done it before.” He seemed really nervous and I chuckled at how cute that sounded. He started searching the first aid box for an antiseptic cream.

“It’s okay. I'm kinda used to it anyway. Just apply a thin layer over the wound and cover it up with some gauze, that should do the trick.” I said simply. He gave me a pitiful look before nodding and doing as I said.

In a while, my wound was all cleaned and covered up and he gave me an ice bag to put over the bruise on my wrist. I sat up on the couch while Azazel went to put away the first aid box. Okay, so what happens now? God, can this situation get any more awkward?

He came back and sat on the other end of the couch. I began tapping my feet on the ground and he drummed his fingers on the armrest as we sat in awkward silence yet again, the only noise in the house being the extremely annoying ticking of the clock in the living room.

“So where did you move here from?” I spoke, finally deciding to break the choking silence.

“I move around the country..a lot. But for now I’m staying here with Genesis and Uncle Ralph.” He answered simply while running his hands idly through his hair which only made it look ten times better.

“What? What do you mean you’re staying here with them?”

“I mean I’m staying in this house for now.” Azazel replied, like it was the most obvious thing in the world. For some reason what he said made my heart skip and made me want to jump for joy.