(ONE) LILY

New cover by Kona2007
ONE - Lily

     The girl on the screen was beautiful. Red-haired, green eyed and pale skinned with a light splattering of freckles across her cheeks and nose. Way out of his league. He zoomed in, just to see her emerald eyes more clearly. He could feel his heart hammering in his chest as he re-read the message he was about to send to her. 'Hi, I saw your profile and thought you were pretty. Thought I'd say hello....'

     He deleted it. It was the third one he'd written and deleted since he started staring at the girl. Her smile seemed infectious, warm and welcoming. So why did he find it so hard to send one simple message to introduce himself?

     He didn't want to come across like all those other guys you get on these sites. The ones who start off by exclaiming how 'hot' the girl is and then proceed to send inappropriate messages and pictures. Sleazy guys.

     No, he wasn't like them. He was a gentleman. 'Hey! How're you doing?' No. Too generic. He'd bet she got loads of messages exactly like that every day. He drummed his fingers on the desk as he tried to think of something else to say. Something that would get her attention, in a good way. He hoped his profile picture would be enough to get her interested enough to reply. In the picture there was a good looking man, so maybe that would be enough, despite the contents of the message. Even if he did sound nervous and awkward.

      The picture was one taken at a bar, the lights making his blond hair shine and brought out the colour of his eyes. He was smiling; it wasn't a toothy smile but he didn't look morbid or moody either.

     'Hi Lily. Just wanted to say hello, as your pictures are lovely. You are very beautiful.' Screw it, that'll do. He pushed his hair away from his face and felt his eyes stinging from staring at the picture of the girl for so long. After a deep breath he hit the 'send' button, and the message appeared in the chat in a blue bubble.

      It said at the top of the screen that Lily had not been online for six hours. Maybe she'll get the message soon. I'll keep checking.

     A day had passed and Lily still hadn't replied. She hadn't been online either. He'd thought about sending her another message but decided no, he didn't want to come across as too eager. Even he knew that was not an attractive trait.

     The picture of her was up in his laptop screen. Her red hair flowing past her shoulders and out of shot, which told him it must be very long. Her green eyes seemed to glisten from the picture, making it seem like she was actually sitting there in front of him. The pale skin making her look fragile, like porcelain. 

      The pink lips, slightly turned up in a smile, looked like they'd taste of strawberries, and the lip rings on either side of her bottom lip gave her the edgy, rocker look he loved in a woman.

     The green eyes were decorated with dark make up, and her delicate throat decorated with a lace choker, with crosses and skulls dangling from black chains down to her collarbones. I do like a rock chick, he said to himself.

      Just from her picture, she was perfect. Everything he loved in a girl. And he actually had the opportunity to talk to her. He was nervous, but also a bit excited. He read through her bio one more time. 

     "Hi! I'm Lily! I'm twenty eight years old, I don't have any kids but would love to one day. I do smoke and drink on the weekends, and I love animals! I listen to all kinds of music, but especially love country. I'm looking for a real man who knows how to treat a woman right! Message me 😜"

     There were more pictures: one of Lily in a club with her arm around the shoulders of a female friend; one of her taken in her kitchen, selfie style, with all her hair tied back; another selfie, this one taken on a park or field of some sort... In every picture she was just a beautiful as she was in her profile picture.

     He checked her location and discovered she was only a few miles away. Come to think of it, he even recognised the park in the background of her picture. He had been there before, he could have seen her there.

     There was a picture of Lily cuddling with her Samoyed dog, and he could swear that he'd seen a woman walking with a white fluffy dog on that very field only a few weeks ago. He had been there walking his border collie.

     Could have been her, he supposed.

     Almost two days, no reply. He sighed and slammed the laptop closed. He figured she wouldn't be back online any time soon. He showered, put in clean clothes and called his dog to him for a walk. 

     "Brock? Walkies."

     Brock was a rescue dog and already had that name when he'd got him. He'd wanted to change his name but the poor dog would have gotten confused. 

    He put on Brock's lead and headed out the door. As he locked it and walked away, Lily was just typing her reply...

************
~Ginni~

Thanks for reading and don't forget to leave your comments!

All the votes and comments are much appreciated! You all rock! Stay up to date with my works by following me on Twitter @GinniTheWriter

Happy reading guys! :)