Chapter Two: An Unexpected Recording

During breakfast the next morning Cameron knew it would be a mistake to tell their parents that Scott had punched him in the stomach the night before. Scott knew he wasn't going to tell on him but that didn't stop Scott from being angry with him. As they sat at the dining room table there was a lot of tension and they mostly ate in silence.

Mr. Ryder was eating breakfast with them. The combover on his head wasn't really working anymore but he no longer cared what anyone thought. When he was younger he had dreams of being a stand-up comedian but that dream had to be thrown away when he got Mrs. Ryder pregnant at fifteen. There were rumours around town that he wasn't Scott's father but Mrs. Ryder stayed by his side. Cameron and Scott didn't know what they saw in Mr. Ryder and he knew that. It was a fact that he had gotten used to now that they were both teenagers and he didn't talk at breakfast because he didn't want the day to start badly, as life was bad enough for him. Mr. Ryder preferred it when they were children and was thinking about the past when his train of thought got interrupted.

"When school finishes I want you to drive Cameron straight home," Mrs. Ryder said.

"Why can't Cameron take the bus home?" Scott asked.

"The bus stops at the bottom of the hill, that's why, and I don't want him to have another accident,"

Five years earlier Cameron had walked up the hill but he had slipped and tumbled down the hill and broken his leg as a result. Ever since then she really worried about him and Cameron found that embarrassing.

"Mom, that was five years ago," he said.

"Yeah, so let him take the bus," Scott said.

Mrs. Ryder looked at Scott sharply.

"If you're not careful I'll take your car keys away and you'll both need to take the bus," she said sternly.

Scott loved the fact that he had his own car and the last thing he needed was to have his car taken away. Especially during his final year of high school.

"Fine, I'll drive him to school and home," he said begrudgingly.

Mrs. Ryder couldn't help but smirk.

"Thank you, Scott," she said. "I knew you'd see things my way,"

Although Cameron loved it when Scott got in trouble he knew he had to be careful not to laugh about it. Especially in front of him.

*****

On the drive to school, Cameron and Scott didn't say anything which wasn't unusual. Scott was playing "U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer on the car stereo. Ordinarily, Cameron wouldn't have cared but he remembered something important. So he reached for his school bag at his feet, picked it up and opened it. Scott was annoyed that Cameron was doing something because he didn't like being distracted from the song.

"What the hell are you doing?" Scott asked annoyed.

"I need to record the sound of a car moving," Cameron replied.

Scott couldn't believe he had such a geek for a brother.

"Why?" Scott asked.

"It's for a film and tv assignment," Cameron explained.

Then Cameron turned off Scott's stereo and dreaded his reaction.

"What do you think you're doing?" Scott asked.

"I can't have music playing," Cameron said.

"Guess again,"

Scott turned his stereo on again. Cameron sighed frustrated that he was acting like such a dick.