Chapter Seventy-Seven: Pressure From the Cult

When Cameron woke up the next morning he just thought his mother would tell him it was time for school and that would be it. But that wasn't it as she had something very serious on her mind.

"Cameron," Mrs. Ryder said. "I need to talk to you about Susan,"

That wasn't something Cameron wanted to hear so early in the morning.

"Oh God!" he complained. "What is it now?"

"I thought about what you said about her and I still have some concerns,"

Cameron sat up in bed and took his blankets off.

"Can't this wait until after school?" he asked as he got out of bed.

"No, it can't wait and I want to talk about her,"

"Then hurry up and get it over with,"

"I think you should watch your step with her,"

"What do you mean I need to watch my step with her?"

Mrs. Ryder couldn't believe that he didn't know what she was talking about.

"Cameron, she got arrested after she drove her car through a red light and even gave the cops the finger," she said. "What do you think that says about a girl like that and what if you had been in the car?"

Cameron hated living in a small town because if he lived in a major city the details of Susan's arrest wouldn't have been known to his mother.

"I think it says she was angry and upset that her parents won't let her see me and if I had been in the car nothing would have happened because we both would have been happy," he replied sharply. "Now did that ever cross your mind?"

Mrs. Ryder was very taken aback by the way he spoke to her because she thought he would be so meek about it. The last thing she expected from her son was confidence.

"No, it didn't cross my mind," she admitted.

"Then start thinking about it," he replied.

Mrs. Ryder really believed that she had a comeback for that but she didn't. In that moment she felt a little scared of him and she walked out of his bedroom. After she left Cameron was happy that he was in control of her for once.

*****

It was ten minutes later when Cameron was in the middle of eating his breakfast and he was pleased that his mother was barely looking at him. Then he heard the welcome sound he wanted to hear: Susan knocking on the front door. He stood up quickly and he opened the front door to see Susan standing there. Cameron couldn't help but smile with relief even though he knew she was going to be there.

"Hey," Cameron said happily.

"Hey," Susan replied happily.

"Hello, Susan," Mrs. Ryder said behind them.

Cameron couldn't believe what he just heard and he turned around to give her a very angry look but Mrs. Ryder did her best to ignore it.

"Susan," Mrs. Ryder said gently. "I really need to talk to you,"

"You've got to be kidding me!" Cameron said annoyed.

"No, it's okay," Susan said to Cameron before she turned her attention to Mrs. Ryder. "What is it, Mrs. Ryder?"

"I just want to warn you that you need to be careful about how you act around here," Mrs. Ryder replied. "Salinger may seem like a nice town but not everyone around here is nice,"