Chapter Sixty-Two: A Desperate Act

Cameron was satisfied that he finally had his picture taken but that didn't mean he was able to sleep that night. His picture had to be developed and he wanted it done as soon as possible. The next morning at breakfast Mrs. Ryder could sense just how anxious her son was as she had a feeling that Michelle was important to him. As he ate his breakfast he looked exhausted and was barely blinking.

"Honey," she said. "I'll take the roll of film in the morning so you can have your picture by the end of the day,"

That was what he wanted to hear but that still wasn't enough.

"You promise?" he asked.

"I promise," she replied.

In Mrs. Ryder's opinion, Cameron seemed to relax a little but that didn't stop him from being anxious and worried.

*****

In spite of his mother's assurances that didn't stop Cameron from being worried about his picture. He wanted it so badly because proving his innocence to Michelle meant the world to him. But when the lunch hour arrived he couldn't take it anymore. So he got on his bike and rode to the mall. Mrs. Ryder was stressed as the delivery of flowers didn't come through and the suppliers weren't answering the phone. So when he walked towards her it was the last thing she needed.

"Cameron, what are you doing here?" Mrs. Ryder asked. "You're supposed to be at school,"

"Did you get the roll of film developed?" Cameron asked selfishly oblivious to her stressed tone.

The second she heard that question she felt very guilty and sighed.

"Cameron, I'm sorry," she said. "I've been dealing with a lot here. I was expecting a shipment of roses and the supplier's not taking my calls,"

"Mom, I need that picture," he desperately pleaded.

"I'll put the roll in as soon as I can. But right now I have a bigger problem to worry about. So go back to school because you're not meant to be here,"

He didn't respond as he just turned around and walked away angry that his mother hadn't kept her promise.

*****

When Cameron rode to the mall he had ridden there as fast as he could. Now that he didn't have his picture he rode back at his own pace and he didn't care if he got back to school on time. As he rode through the main gate he saw Mr. Priestly looking at him. Cameron glared at him defiantly as he knew to give him the finger would have been a terrible idea.

*****

Once the school day was over Cameron rode like lightning to the mall. Mrs. Ryder was dreading his arrival to work. Once he was there his anxieties were in overdrive.

"Did you get the picture developed?" he asked.

"No, I didn't," Mrs. Ryder replied.

To Cameron that was a stab in the heart.

"Why not?" Cameron asked.

"I'm waiting for my flowers to arrive and I couldn't leave the store in case they called me to tell me what was going on,"

Under any other circumstances, Cameron would have believed his mother but there was one point of her story that just didn't sit right.

"So have you been holding it in all day?" he asked.

"What?" she asked confused.

"You said you haven't left the store. So that makes me wonder if you haven't been to the bathroom today,"