Chapter 25

ANTONIO

Her conviction to deprive me from a legacy is no honeymoon.

Yet she still clings to her creed, unaware that I've taken the lead in this dance of deception. Though, I'll let her believe I'm dancing to her tune. We'll move to the music until it stops — and then, when the masquerades fall, her betrayal will be laid bare. And she'll see that she dances with the devil.

In my dictionary, promises are made to be kept. We made a deal. She agreed to give me life — to carry my child. But now, she's broken her word by attempting to poison me with venom to steal my ability to create.

The confrontation will be vivid — heart-wrenching. I'll drag her into the spotlight, expose her treachery — her serene backstabbing. But my sins? They'll remain in the dark, as they always have.

My clueless Drakon — she will never know why I really married her. I feed on knowledge. I thrive on power. This child is my key to more. My seed will find life in her womb, and it will be born into this world, no matter the cost.

I need this life, mixed by her blood with mine. I bartered my humanity to stand on top of this empire, looking down at the world. The last obligation to maintain this dynasty is a legacy — I have a contract with my father. A promise to keep. And I am a man who stays true to my word.

My wife is a reflection of me, and she represents my name. And my line stays true to its world, so will she. If she won't yield willingly, then I will coerce her. Because I refuse to be conquered. I did not send my dear mother to heaven just to lose. I did not let my father take my humanity away to fail. I didn't come that far to end up as a half man.

Yet, I almost did due to her slanderous intentions. Blinded by the innocence she emanates in every aspect, I was almost deceived by the fiery woman her lineage represents, nearly falling into her vile trap — if not for my maid's loyalty. That's why loyalty matters. It keeps me safe. It keeps me powerful.

And she abused the little power I gave her with my last name, trying to play a dangerous game behind my back. Not with me, which would have been thrilling, but against me. She played against her husband. And her friend played against her, using me as the pawn — the white queen against the black king, like chess.

I decided to give her the world. She decided to erase my line from the world. Seduced by her beauty and powerful lineage, I cannot hurt her. I don't want to erode her. I want to make her bloom. I want her to be my rose with thorns. Because the enemy never sleeps, and I have a collection of them, always awake, ready to strike.

She is an Alessi now. She must learn how to defend herself. Of course, as her husband, I'll always stand before her, like a dam, shielding her from any danger threatening to drown her. After all, she is my family — just as much of a family as my brother means to me.

And on contrary to her, he's happy to have me as his family — as his counsellor in this dark business we are trading, with arms and substances.

"I got the deal! And at a very good price!" My brother greets me with great news, unlike my wife, who eats papaya seeds in order to rob me of the child I wait for.

The little Drakon is always lingering in my mind, making it impossible for me to continue a second of my day without thinking of her — and her betrayal.

"Name the price," I tell him, gifting him a subtle smile of delight for his well-done work, while taking the contract from him to have a look. I trust his work — yet my eyes want to confirm his success.

"Four hundred thousand dollars," he says with his chest heaved up, standing proud, before lounging on the chair before me, the grin of success lacing his lips.