The Beginning of the End

At long last, I finally understood what he meant....

The price of freedom is not a debt easily paid. Oh, how I wished I had headed those words. I wish many things these days...
I am only fortunate enough to be granted the opportunity to rise from the filth and destruction in which so many have fallen, only to arise to fight once more. Life went on as it was before, only to be occasionally interrupted by the stench of gunpower in the horizon. This was war. A war between two opposite opinions, between brothers. The dream that was America was shattering before our very eyes, and it pains me to have to bear witness. Even so, we must put those thoughts, those regrets, aside for the better of our people. Unlike others, I can not forget the memories that we shared. His eyes of cruelean blue shining under the sun's gaze, his hand clasped onto mine as we raced through fields of withered grain and smiling meadows. I did not make the choice to forget, oh no, that would come another day. Neither did I choose to stand here with my fellow comrades at my side, our knees deep in muddied water , aiming a rifle at the person dearest to my heart. 

My brother. The United States of America

and I, the newly formed Confederacy. 

I am Alexandria Jones, and this is only the beginning.