Chapter 10 - An Icy Voyage

A/N: Just wanted to let you all know that we're at the halfway mark - thanks so much for reading so far!

. . .

Pixal was grateful that she did not perceive cold like her companions, though she was sympathetic towards them. They showed all signs of discomfort in this weather: red noses, unsteady hands, etc. She felt especially bad for Skylor, who was the least accustomed to single-digit temperatures. However, she admired the three of them for being able to put up with it, and without any complaints, as of yet.

Presently, they were surrounded on both sides by glacial cliffs. Their boat drifted along the river that weaved between the towering ice, and the sky above was overcast with dark clouds raining down more snow.

At the helm, Seliel was steering the ship, with Skylor keeping her company. Seliel had lost her metal helmet in the caves after the fiasco with the dragon guardian (which, of course, she blamed the Earth Ninja for), and despite the cold, refused to don her mask until she really needed it. This left exposed her bruised eye which was now redish-purple and slightly swollen. There was also a scab that had formed where her lip had split open. She certainly looked the worse for wear than any of them, and she undoubtedly had more bruises she was hiding.

But this hadn't dissuaded her in the slightest. In fact, it seemed to make her want to fight harder than ever before. Seliel may not have been the most excited to become a ninja when they had first started, but it was clear now what drove her. Skylor and Nya, too, appeared to be more determined than ever. If only willpower could determine their outcome.

"How do you grow up on an island but never get on a boat?" Seliel was asking Skylor incredulously from her place at the helm.

"I never needed to leave," Skylor answered simply.

"That sounds rough," Seliel commented. "I couldn't imagine living alone on a small island for so long.

"Oh, there were plenty of other people. And Dad kept me busy with training." Pixal was reminded of her own early years, which had incorporated more tests than real world experiences. She realized that, in some ways, she may be able to relate to Skylor's situation.

"Hey, Pixal," Nya called. The water ninja had been practicing her kata to keep warm, but now she approached Pixal, icy clouds billowing from her mask. Pixal blinked once, shifting from her observant stupor to a more social demeanor.

"Yes, Nya? Is there something you need?"

"I was just thinking: you said before that with your elemental powers you can act as one big magnet. In that case, shouldn't you be able to get the weapons easily? Even if they have one, you could just rip it right out of their hands, right?"

"That's a good theory, Nya," Seliel called as she gently turned the wheel to avoid another iceberg. "But gold isn't attracted to magnets. Not real gold, anyway."

Pixal nodded. "Technically gold can be repelled by a magnetic field, but I doubt that will help much. I did attempt to get a feel for they scythe after we escaped the caves, due to the slightest chance that there may be some iron or other or other metal within, but I could not get a hold of it. I would assume that they are impervious to elemental abilities, anyway."

Skylor slumped. "Well that stinks."

"Of course you'd have already thought of that," Nya sighed. "For a moment there I really thought we stood a chance."

"Let's not count ourselves out just yet," Seliel encouraged them. "Sensei believes in us. There are three weapons left and, who knows? We might get lucky."