Chapter 19 - Welcome Home

Back at the monastery, the dark clouds that hung overhead began to melt away like snow on a warm day. The sun shone through once again, chasing away the shadows. Young Lloyd saw the rays of light coming through the window and dashed over to peer through the glass.

"Mom, they did it!" he called.

Misako came to look over his shoulder. Smiling, she nodded. "It sure looks like it."

Lloyd was watching the gate doors keenly, nose pressed against the pane, expecting the girls and his father to come through at any moment. But the doors remained still. "They should be back by now," he said, disappointed.

What if someone had gotten hurt, he wondered. Or worse, what if they were trapped in the Underworld, banished like his uncle? A number of grim possibilities wandered through his mind until a beat sounded from above. Lloyd gasped when he looked up.

A large, red dragon drifted down and into the center of the monastery with Nya and his father on its back. Lloyd dashed out of the monastery, his mother right behind him. "Dad!" he shouted as his father dismounted more dragons were landing with the rest of the girls on their backs. Lloyd leapt into his father's arms and gave him a great big hug.

"Lloyd! Am I ever glad to see you!" he said, returning the hug in full.

"My turn." Misako wrapped one arm around his torso to join in.

When Garmadon set his son down, the boy was practically bouncing up and down. "You won! Does that mean you're going to stay, now?"

"Technically, we did not win anything," Pixal interjected solemnly. "Wu has vanished for the time being, but he will certainly be back."

Seliel put an arm around her shoulders. "Yeah, and we'll be waiting for him!" She raised her hand for a high-five, and all four girls clapped their hands together, even letting Lloyd jump up to add his.

"And next time, I'll make sure he doesn't get away!" Lloyd announced.

"I think you've still got a long way to go before then," Nya said. To demonstrate, she grabbed him around the neck and rubbed her knuckles into his hair.

"Aaagh!!" Lloyd yelled, struggling in her grip.

"Hey, I hate to be the one to point this out, but is anyone else hungry?" Skylor asked.

"We'll have a feast to celebrate," Misako announced.

"Ooh, I'll help cook!" Seliel volunteered.

Everyone cheered and crowded inside. But Pixal intercepted Nya on their way in. "I wanted to inform you that I share in your remorse for your brother. It is a shame that he could not see sense."

Nya looked away. "He made his choice. And I've made mine. I'll do whatever it takes to protect Ninjago."

"Perhaps a fight will not be necessary. You're brother is not corrupt in the same manner as Wu; your relationship may not have to be so strained, either. I theorize that if we can reveal Wu's true intentions, then we would be able to persuade his students to turn on him. There may still be hope."

Nya sighed. "I just don't know anymore. I could never understand what was going on his head, and I certainly don't now." Nya crossed her arms, almost afraid to let herself dream. "But . . . I hope you're right."

Nya was surprised when Pixal gave her a hug. "I know I speak for all of our friends when I say that the rest of us will lend whatever aid we can in order to get him back."

Nya smiled in spite of her doubt and hugged her back. "Thanks, Pixal."

"Nya! Pixal!" Lloyd was calling from inside the monastery. "Where'd you guys go?"

The girls broke apart and Nya yelled back, "We're coming!"

But someone shushed him from inside. "Forget them," said Skylor. "It'll mean more food for us!"

"Ooohhh . . . Nevermind!"

Nya laughed as she and Pixal started to head inside. Perhaps the family she'd once had was gone, but what she'd found instead was something almost as great. Kai had his toxic friends and his controlling master, and even if he chose them above his true family, a part of Nya would always love him, no matter how hard she tried to deny it. But at least she had people to look out for her, to laugh with her, and to comfort her. At least something good had come from all of this.

. . . 

A/N: Woot we've reached the end of the second book! Thanks so much for reading and for all your encouraging comments!!

As promised, if you go to my profile you'll find Book 3 with a preview chapter that'll give you a taste of what's to come. You can follow that story so that you'll be notified as soon as I start publishing more! Thanks again, and I'll see you there ;)