Lilly and Hannah

She was going to do it, and nothing could stop her. She had to tell her today. She'd been putting it of for months, and now would be her last chance before summer started. She was going to tell her.

       Lilly was terrified, of course, but she knew it was now or never. She liked her, and knew that if she didn't make herself tell her how she felt now, she never would.

       She knew there was a chance that she would say no, a good chance. But she might say yes.

       She twisted his locker, her hands moving from muscle memory. When she heard the clicks that said she had passed the last number, he pulled. Her movements were rushed as she shoved her English books in and pulled out her Current Issues notebook, almost dropping it on the floor. She paused before leaving, taking a deep, calming breath. She could do this. She nodded shortly. She was okay.

       Lilly saw her when she was almost to Math. Her hair was in a short braid and she was wearing a large, gray hoodie with black jeans. She turned to her, but before she could take a step in her direction, the minute bell rang. She winced. She couldn't make her late when she asked her out.

       She turned to Mrs. Pent's room and walked in. The last class today. The last week of school.

       The hour blurred past. She could barely pay attention. The bell rang, loud and symbolic. It signaled an end in her life, when a new beginning could be just around the corner.

       She practically bolted from her seat, and before she knew it, she was outside. She didn't even remember stopping by her locker, but she was carrying her backpack.

       There she was. She was sitting on the bench by the bus stop, waiting. She didn't look bored, though. She looked almost happy, her eyes scanning the pages of the large book in her hands. She was always reading.

       Wiping her hands on her pants, she made her feet move. Her heart felt like it was going to pound its way from her chest. She made herself take another calming breath.

       "Hey, Hannah." Lilly hoped she didn't notice the way her voice tremored.

       "Hey, Lilly," She said, smiling at her.

       "Can I sit here?"

       "Yeah," She said calmly. "You know, it's a public bench."

       She laughed. "Yeah."

       They sat for a few minutes, but when the bus came, she turned to Hannah.

        "Um, can I . . .," She swallowed, than smiled nervously. "Sorry." Hannah squinted at her, clearly confused. "Can I ask you something?"

       "Sure?" She said, standing to get on the bus.

       Lilly gave her what she hoped was a calm smile. "Will you go-" She swallowed. "Will you go out with me?"

       Hannah blinked. "I . . ." She nodded, then smiled. "Yeah, I will."

       Then she stepped onto the bus, and was carried away.