Garret the Hypersensitive Cat

Fourteen-year-old Garret Scott lived with his family of cats.  He was usually very friendly and smart, and he cooperated at school and at home.  He was also helpful when he worked around the house with his parents on weekends.  Garret loved being happy.

However, there was a different side of Garret.  Even though he was generally cooperative, he was sometimes not in certain ways at his home.  Why?  Because he was EXTREMELY hypersensitive and tended to perseverate A LOT.

Whenever someone said something negative to Garret or even criticized him, he would sometimes overreact and get angry...even if it was over something small.  He would start arguing, throw temper tantrums, and even throw objects on the floor or at the walls.  Life at Garret's house would be about him being upset and talking about the same subjects nonstop.

Garret's family would oftentimes become irritated and miserable with him because he had difficulty controlling his emotions and changing the subject.   

All Garret would ever do at home is get oversensitive and and be worked up over the littlest topics.  Poor Garret.

One Saturday, Garret was at the kitchen table chewing on some pretzels-loudly

One Saturday, Garret was at the kitchen table chewing on some pretzels-loudly.  His ten-year-old sister, Virginia, was sitting across from him.  She was covering her ears because she couldn't stand Garret's noisy chewing.

Munch, munch, munch!  Chew, chew chew!

"You know," Virginia told Garret, "you're being super rude right now."

That's when Garret looked at his sister and easily got mad-fast.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!" he shouted.  "I'M NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG!"

"You're chewing too loudly, and it's hurting my ears to death!" said Virginia.

"I'm NOT hurting your ears!" Garret protested.

Virginia sighed.  "Whatever, Garret.  I just know you can do a better job munching quietly."

"You don't have to rub it in my face like that!" Garret said.  "Man, you're such a big mouth."

Garret's mom came into the kitchen to see what was wrong.  "What's going on here?"

"Virginia said I was chewing loudly," complained Garret, "and I didn't do anything wrong!"

"Garret, just please let it go!" begged his mom.  "We just want to enjoy a peaceful Saturday."

"Not with that witch who thinks my chewing is idiotic!" snarled Garret.