9. Friend

Recap:

“Well,” Steinberg smirked as he took a seat in his leather chair, “we are conducting due diligence on the criminal matter that I happen to be involved in. The reason you are the specific person here is because I have received evidence indicating that you are in some way involved with the matter.”

Upon hearing those words, the man’s face seemed to pale rapidly, changing at least three shades, as he dug his nails into his fists. He opened and closed his mouth, seeming at a loss for words. Regina smiled victoriously, her hand squeezing Damon’s shoulder. Jackpot.

***

“I’m not sure what you’re talking about,” the man stuttered nervously. “If I had heard anything I would be sure to come forward when the police…”

“You’re a terrible liar.” Steinberg interrupted him harshly. “You wouldn’t even be able to convince me the sky is blue if your life depended on it.”

“I don’t know anything, Mr. Steinberg.” Eugene said. Regina’s eyes shifted downward to see him ripping off a cuticle from his index finger, his other hand shaking nervously.

“No one is accusing you of anything,” Regina said smoothly, hoping the “good cop, bad cop” routine will get them somewhere. “You’ve been a valued part of the board of directors for the past months, and we have no reason to suspect that you are doing anything against Mr. Steinberg other than the tip we received. All we want is for you to tell us the truth about anything you may have heard or done in the past months that you think we might want to know.”

Eugene gave her a small half-smile. “I understand,”

“Regina,” She filled in smoothly.

“Regina, but there’s little I can tell you.” He said, itching his nose with his right hand. “I found out about the murder from the newspapers, just like everyone else.”

“You’re lying again,” Steinberg growled, “don’t’ think I don’t notice it. I’m not as nice as her, and I’m not going to kid around with you. Either tell us whatever the hell it is you’re hiding, or I’ll make sure you will. You think I can’t fire you just because your daddy’s some big shot? Well, I damn well can, and I’ll make sure the word spreads around that…”

“Damon, stop,” Regina said softly as she took one look at Eugene’s paling face and shifting eyes. “There’s no need for that. I’m sure this is just a misunderstanding. You’re going to explain that, right?” She continued, addressing the man across the desk.

“Explain what?” Eugene said, his eyes focused to Regina in an effort to avoid Damon’s harsh stare.

“I’m done here,” Damon shouted, slamming his fist on the desk, “either you tell me or I’m going to make the rest of your life as miserable as I can, and trust me, with the amount of money I can waste on that and the number of people I know, it’s not going to be hard, so you better start talking.”

Regina gave him another long look before deciding that the nice routine was definitely not working. “If you get him mad, you’re going to be out of this company on your ass, and no union is going to help out a rich daddy’s boy like you. So either you tell him and everything is well, or you’re done and you’re not even getting a severance package, your choice.”

“She forgot to mention the not getting another job part,” Steinberg smirked, “by the time I’m done writing up your reference, you’ll be lucky if you get a job up North in Alaska.”

“I didn’t actually do anything with the murder,” Eugene said desperately, his hands gripping the desk hard enough that his knuckles turned white, “it wasn’t really anything!”