5. Tanner

FINALLY UPDATED! I KNOW WHERE I WANT THE STORY TO GO, BUT LACKED INSPRIATION TO FILL OUT THE CHAPTER OUTLINES. HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS. OH WELL, I AM BACK ON TRACK, FOR THE TIME BEING AT LEAST.

PICTURE ON THE SIDE IS KELLY-------------->>>>>>>>>>>>

************************************************************************************************************

5. Tanner

I was stunned when Rachel came out front. It took her longer than usual to get dressed-probably because she was analyzing every look carefully-and it was well worth the wait. She emerged wearing these skin-tight skinny jeans that hugged every curve tucked into a pair of short black boots with a black form-fitting sweater. I had never seen her look so feminine before. I guessed she had those curves, but seeing them was a complete shock.

I took in my neighbor’s new look and wolf-whistled. Rachel whipped her head toward me and glared appearing more adorable than menacing.

We swapped bed frames first, then mattresses. Thankfully, my dad hadn’t come home from wherever he was, yet, and Gina and Brian were off doing God-knows-what. No one knew about our sleeping arrangement and I don’t know how we would have answered anyone’s questions. There was just no explaining the mattress switch without telling the truth. And that wasn’t ever going to happen.

After, we both had a slight sweat sheen and were breathing heavy, but the deal was done. I examined my room-the headboard was pushed against the far wall, opposite my closet and bathroom and the foot of the bed stopped mid-way under the window. Rachel would have to be more careful where she stepped when she came in. The dresser stayed next to the doorway with my console and all my video games piled on top along with a few of Rachel’s books. I doubt my dad would ever notice the difference. Now, for new sheets.

We drove to the closest mall and parked at the food court entrance. “I’m hungry, let’s eat first then we can go into a department store.”

“Sure, what do you want to eat?” Rachel climbed out of my SUV. She didn’t wait for me to get her door, but why would she? This is the first time I’ve given her a ride. I’ve offered to take her to school before-we were both going to the same place after all, but she insisted on leaving my room early on school mornings and catching the bus.

Now that I think about it, this is the first time we’ve ever been in public together. I’ve only ever talked to Rachel in my room. I vowed to myself things would change this year. She was my best friend and deserved more than some secret friendship.

“I’m thinking Chinese or pizza.”

Rachel gave me her megawatt smile that lit up her whole face. “Chinese definitely, we do pizza way too often!”

I held the door as she walked into the food court. Maybe I was nervous for her, but I swear a silence came over the mall. It was gone in a heartbeat replaced by the normal din and clatter, but an urge to hold Rachel's hand and pull her close hit me. I resisted and instead followed Rachel to the line for Chinese food.

We got a number and Rachel found us seats in the busy place while I waited for our tray of food. My number was called, so I  picked up the tray, filled our cups with soda-Dr. Pepper for me, Coke with extra ice for Rachel-snagged some more napkins and soy sauce and searched for Rachel. Where did she end up sitting?

I scanned the food court looking for a lone girl with a mane of glossy chocolate curls before finally spotting her-she wasn’t alone. Making my way to the table where Rachel was sitting with two other guys, I dropped the tray rather abruptly. Rachel looked uncomfortable with a polite smile plastered on, so I effectively ended the conversation. Handing Rachel a container of orange chicken and noodles, I glared at the boys. “Excuse me, I only got enough for two.”