Part 1: Chapter 1

"Thank you, sweetheart," Dad said as I placed his bowl of soup in front of him. I sat down at my own side of the table.

"Well, what did you learn today in school?" Dad asked. This is his tradition. He always asks me what I learned. Even if it's not educational, he still wants to know. Another rule. He doesn't take 'I don't know' for an answer, at any time. He doesn't say it and doesn't take it either.

"Well. Some of my friends want to go to the city tomorrow night. They want me to come with them. Can I go?"

"Is your room clean?"

"Yes, sir."

"How are your grades?"

"All 80's and 90's."

"Yes, you can go." He said. "But be safe."

"Thanks, daddy!" I say.

"Did you hear Johns's wife passed away?"

"John Wick!? Mrs. Wick passed away?"

"Yeah. She passed away in the hospital early this morning."

"That's awful," I say. I was always terrified of John Wick. He was so quiet, I could keep up a conversation with him. Usually about school, or movies, or dogs! He loved dogs. Helen was allergic to them. I always was on edge around him. But I loved his wife. She took care of me when dad and John were on business. She was the one that taught me to sew. I've been wanting to go see them again for a while and begged dad for weeks.

I hadn't noticed but, a single tear streamed down my face. I wiped it away quickly. And continued on my soup, which didn't taste near as good as it usually did.

~~~

I looked at the photos dad and I picked to give to John. It was an image of Helen and I at the sewing machine, John was watching over Helen's shoulder. I had my tongue sticking out in concentration. John was watching in astonishment with the slightest bit of a smile. He never smiled.

The next one was a really little me and John with a golden retriever puppy. It was in his lap and I was petting the puppy. And one more of him holding the puppy up to his face and it licking his face. He was smiling like crazy. They were adorable.

Little did I know what I was getting myself into...