Chapter 14

Dad seemed fed up and rose to his feet when Viggo turned around.  His guards circled him but he fought against them.  There was a click behind my head, and the cold metal touched the side of my head.  Perkins held me tightly. There was no way I could escape.  Dad froze quickly.  She then changed her aim and aimed for dad.  She had let me go.  So I quickly did the best I could to intercept the bullets.  I took two to my left shoulder and fell to the floor.  In yet another coughing fit.  It seemed to satisfy Perkins enough.  This time, blood came with every cough.  Viggo gave an order in Russian and they all filed out of the room.  I went and sat on the floor next to Dad, who laid his head on my lap. 

"I told you.  I told you." He repeated weakly.  I shushed him.  "You saved me." He said.

"That's not the focus right now, is it?" I ask.  Stroking fingers through his hair.  I could tell he was in pain, but he smiled softly as I did this. 

"You've got the touch of an angel." He said.  I smiled now too.  "You'll get yourself a good man." He said.  "And he'll beg you to do it again." He said. 

"Yeah?" I say. 

"Honey.  I want you to go find John.  He'll keep you safe and warm in his home."

"But what about our home dad," I ask. 

"Use it as a backup.  Have John use it as a safe home.  Have him take his favorite pictures of him and his wife.  I have a feeling after this his whole career is going to go downhill."

"Papa.  I do really like John.  He's been great to both of us."

"Just be aware.  John can make some pretty horrible decisions in his life.  Keep him out of trouble for me.  Would you?" He asked.  I nodded.  "Will you sing for me?  Please?" Dad asked.

"What do you want to hear?" I asked.

"Sing that song from the music you listen to about love."

"Love Never Dies?  Oh my.  It's been a while, I might not hit all those notes." I start rambling.

"Sing." He says.

When I opened my mouth to sing the song, my voice was shaky, and I was now on the verge of tears, singing it to him.  But as I got farther into it, i started getting more of the song, and the notes, and the words.  His breathing evened out around the middle and he looked me in the eyes.  At that moment in the show, that's when the singer's husband walks away and lets her be with her new lover. 

"Hearts may get broken-" I sing.  I felt dad's breathing even out again.  And not start again.  I pulled him closer and hugged his still warm, lifeless body.  Sobbing.  It was uncontrollable.  I couldn't stop. 

"No.  No." I screamed, hugging his body closer and sobbing harder.  He was all I had.  Now he's gone.  This Viggo man ruined our life.  And I was going to get my revenge.  My phone rang.  It did all I could to pick up and not start bawling again. 

"Hello," I said in a mellow voice.

"Leah.  This is John." He responded.

"Yeah," I say. 

"Viggo is dead." He said.  I didn't respond. 

"John.  Please come quickly." I say, "1749." I say. 

"Oh no," John said.  "I'm coming, hun.  Don't worry." I hung up quickly. 

I just wanted to mourn my father for the little bit of time I had left.  I hugged him tighter, as the tears streamed down my face.  I feared this day all my life.  And hoped it would not come nearer to my childhood like it did.  I was terrified it would ruin it.  But yes he was old, but he was a fighter.  And he had a good 20-30 years on him still.  I could never imagine this happening, but it did and I couldn't help that.  The door opened, revealing John.  I didn't look at him.  I couldn't.  I didn't want him to see me like this.  He grabbed me a box of tissues.

"Thank you." I say, still avoiding his eyes. 

"I know how it feels to loose a loved one, and many of us deal with it in different ways.  It's okay for you to cry.  You shouldn't be ashamed of that." He says.

I wiped up my face and looked up at him. 

"It was all so sudden.  I mean, two hours ago the three of us we chatting and having a great time.  All the sudden he's gone.  Just like that." I say.