CHAPTER 2: Star

It was two weeks after the trip that her best friend confronted her. Kinomoto Sakura had Syaoran-kun behind her as if backing her up. The couple cornered her near the gate after the class.

Sakura was in a state wherein she couldn't confine a giggle. They were all grown up and Sakura was still as energetic and cheerful as ever. With this, Tomoyo was happy. She graced them with her sweet smile.

It was just a matter of time. Sakura jumped up from her position and burst out asking, "What happened?!"

This question waver the natural smile of the Daidouji heiress. She tilted her head slightly, "Sakura-chan?"

"Eriol-kun and you, Tomoyo-chan!" Sakura enveloped Tomoyo's hands with her own, jumping once again, expressing a hopeful expression. Tomoyo couldn't help but notice the slim gold ornament around Sakura's perfect wrist, glinting against the fading rays of the setting sun. It was a symbol of the undying love of the lone wolf to the cherry blossom. Li Syaoran had perfectly made their relationship official on top of the mountain on the class's trip.

Kinomoto Sakura seemed so happy. Her life had become so perfect after then. Daidouji Tomoyo was of course happy as well. She should be.

"TOMOYO-CHAN!" Sakura's cry dragged Tomoyo from her wandering thoughts.

The heiress smiled worriedly, "What's with me and Hiiragizawa-kun?"

Sakura pouted. She made it look like Tomoyo was hiding something. This time, Syaoran interfered with a frown, a little bit curious but only being protective in a way. He uttered cautiously, "We noticed that you and Hiiragizawa-san became so close when we returned from the trip. What happened then?"

"YES!" Sakura nodded vigorously, jumping once again. This time, she giggled.

Tomoyo's expression was nothing but puzzled. She asked, "You noticed?"

"We noticed," Sakura released her hands and gestured freely. "All of us noticed. You are always with him."

Tomoyo's smile dropped. Her gazed stayed on the slim bracelet around Sakura's wrist. She said softly, lifting her lips to a small smile, "Sakura-chan, I am his vice. Of course, I am always with him."

"Hoe?" Sakura's head tilted to a side.

Tomoyo continued, "There's nothing with me and Hiiragizawa-kun." She expressed a reassuring smile. At that, Syaoran's frown deepened.

******

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, Sakura-chan."

******

It was true.

Hiiragizawa Eriol had become more than just a shadowy friend from Tomoyo's life. Amusing it seemed; it had taken her a day, a piano, and a greeting for her to change her view of the mage before her, for her to notice him in a way – the same mage that had been hanging around them for over a year, the same superior officer in the student council.

How did she not notice?

Right there and then, Daidouji Tomoyo allowed Hiiragizawa Eriol to step further into her life. She allowed him in and welcomed his twisted attempts of laughter and ideas of fun.

******

Partners.

They would see them work, walking around the school premises, discussing plans with ton of papers. Hiiragizawa Eriol would adjust his glasses and then he would say the smartest strategy. Daidouji Tomoyo would remark and she would take note. Together, they would always produce the best for Tomoeda High.