Chapter 3

This chapter is a little heartbreaking. Sorry if this disappoints a lot of you, but I'll make up for it.

Ben's POV

"I don't want to do this thing anymore."

"...do this thing anymore."

"...anymore."

"...anymore."

"...anymore."

The words echoed in my ears as I faced Erica, who burst out laughing.

"Oh, Ben," she said, "I'm surprised. You're always joking around with me."

"No, I'm not," I said sharply, struggling to believe it myself.

Erica's smile fell. She realized the direness of the situation and grew concerned. "Ben?"

"I said I don't want to do this relationship anymore," I said, louder than I had intended.

"What do you mean, Ben?" Erica asked.

"I mean I don't want us to be a thing anymore."

Erica frowned. "Why this sudden decision?"

"You knew the secrets of my friends, my family and yet you didn't tell me anything about it even though I asked you to." I sounded sharper than I thought.

"It was for your own good!" Erica said.

I glared at her. "So me not knowing the truth about my friends and my very own family is for my own good?"

"What have I ever done to you?" she asked.

"You've kept secrets from me and you still are and you always will," I said.

Erica got off the bed and stood facing me. "No."

"Yes," I said. "I read the texts off your phone. You knew Joshua since last week. You betrayed me! You acted like you didn't know anything, Erica."

Erica's eyes widened. "What? NO! I knew him just when you did!"

"Then how do you explain this?" I thrust her phone in her hand. She gasped at the cracked glass, but gasped even more when she scrolled through the texts.

"Ben, I swear, I did not send these texts," she pleaded. "I didn't."

"Then how is it on your phone?" I exploded. "How?"

 "No, Ben, I don't know."

"Yeah, right." I rolled my eyes. What I hated even more was the fact that Erica was lying to me on my face.

She reached out to me but I stepped back. "No."

"Why, Ben? Why all of a sudden?" she asked.

"Because I'm sick of you keeping secrets. Relationships are supposed to be built on trust, Erica."

Erica looked at me. "So you're saying out relationship is untrustworthy?"

"Yes."

"Ben-"

"Shut up, Erica!" I snapped. "Please, I don't want to hear anymore."

Erica gathered herself together. "Getting together was our joint decision, Ben. Breaking apart can't be just your decision."

"Yes, it can be, Erica. I somehow loved you all these years and had a crush on you not knowing this side of you."

"But no matter what you do, even if you hate me, I won't stop loving you."

"I can stop, Erica."

Erica walked up to me. "Ben, I know you still love me. I know you do."

"Stop." I could feel the rage bubbling up inside me. "Just stop."

Erica grabbed both sides of my shirt so tightly that her strength outweighed mine and I couldn't pull back. "Ben, if you really don't love me, then prove it."

I was so close to her that I could smell lilacs. I didn't enjoy the scent as I used to. Gathering all my strength, I pushed her away from me. She stumbled backward.

"How, Erica? How?" I asked.

Erica came closer to me. "Ben, if you really don't love me, then look into my eyes and tell me that you don't love me. That's all I need."

"Erica, just stop this nonsense," I said, but she grabbed my hand.

"Tell me, Ben!"

"Okay, FINE!" I yelled. "I'm looking at you in the eyes. You got that? I DON'T LOVE YOU!"

Erica's mouth fell open. She covered her mouth with her hand, then stumbled on her feet as she fell to her knees on the floor. She just stared at me. I turned around, stormed into my room, grabbed a ready-to-go backpack that I always had in case of an emergency and ran down the stairs.

That night I slept on the couch. Erica stayed in her room the whole time. I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

XXX

The next morning, I woke up at ten in the morning and grabbed my backpack. I was just about to head to the car when I heard Erica behind me.

I didn't wait. I thought I heard something, but then I heard nothing. I got into my car and drove off. Away from that house. Far away.

About ten minutes later was when I realized that even my heart had shattered into a million pieces as well. I drove on, every past memory of mine going away with every passing tree.

I finally arrived at Mike's house. My entire vision had blurred. I tried my best to wipe away all my tears as I parked my car next to Mike's.

"Ben?!" Mike gasped as soon as he saw my face. "Did you-"

I nodded. He let me in and I sank to the floor on my knees. "I can't believe her," I finally said. "She betrayed me."

"I know it's pretty hard to breakup with someone," Mike said.

"She lied to me, on my face," I said through tears. "The text was on her phone, yet she told me that she wasn't the one who sent them. How could she lie on my face?"

"Ben." Mike sounded calm as he spoke, somewhat soothing. "I'm sorry."

"I still love her," I said, feeling the tears again. "Don't I?"

Mike led me to the couch and handed me a glass of water. "That's a question that only you should answer."

I buried my face in my knees and curled into a little ball, hating myself for not knowing anything and hating Erica for not being truthful.

"Ben, you are most welcome to live here, with me and Jenny. You can stay in the guest bedroom," Mike said. "You can stay in the room all day or go outside. Do whatever you want, and you know that you can talk to me, right?"

I nodded, forced a weak smile and headed upstairs. All I needed was some sleep.

And so I fell asleep.

A lot of you are going to hate me for writing this, but I promise I'll make up for it. This is really important to the plot.