Chapter Nine

Bati screamed, yanking at the chains that bound her. If she could get loose, she would have the bastards around her plucking out their eyes. Oh, the vision she'd give them!

Even through her rage, she could appreciate the irony of the situation. The runed cuffs that couldn't stop an angel from healing could stop her abilities.

Taking a cue from Irin, she wouldn't go down without a fight. If yanking on the chains was all she could do, then that's what she would do. Spread-eagle, naked, hanging in shackles was not the way Batibat, Demoness of Nightmares, should die. But it appeared that was how it would happen. She knew and accepted that her friends were helpless. They couldn't come down here. It was her own poor decision, her own self-pity, that led her on this path.

"Batibat, you know what will happen if you don't tell me what I want to know." The old demon moved to stand in front of her. "If you tell me where they are, I promise your death will be quick, maybe even painless." It smiled. "If not, well, you know."

"Go fuck yourself," she spat at Gusion.

"Chamos."

The barbed whip dug into her bare flesh and she groaned through the pain.

"Do you wish to reconsider?"

She turned her head, looking as far back as she could. "That all you got, big boy?"

"Again," Gusion said.

She turned away and closed her eyes as the sharp points bit into her. This time the son of a bitch pulled down, slicing her skin, and she couldn't hold back a small scream. Through the blinding pain, she felt the warmth of her blood trickle down her back.

She wouldn't give up her friends. She'd just die.

~ ~ ~

Elathan heard her. He flashed to the square. Of course, no cell for her. They would make her torture as public as possible. He had to save her. But how?

There she was, strung up, bloody, surrounded by demons with blood lust on their faces. As skilled as he was, there was no way to fight them all. But he had to try.

He materialized behind Gusion and pulled his sword. A thrust at the demon revealed what he had already figured out. A trap.

The demon wasn't there. It was an illusion. It vanished and Bati's pain-filled eyes widened at the sight of him. "No, you can't be here."

"Lath Ane. How wonderful of you to join us. I was asking your friend here about you." Elathan turned to find Gusion moving up behind him.

Flashing to the side of Chamos, a quick motion had the demon's head rolling on the ground. Elathan spared a glance at her back and he flinched. He remembered that pain all too well.

"I'm going to get you out of here, Bati. Hold on."

Somehow, she laughed. "Don't try, Elathan. Go. They were expecting you."

Elathan smiled. He had something they would not expect. "I'll be back. You have my word." He appeared in front of her. "I won't let you die, okay?"

She smiled at him. "I'll fight, but don't come back. It's not worth it."

He spun, sword out and Gusion jumped back. Elathan vanished.

The ancient one didn't seem upset at the turn of events. Instead, he smiled. "Now, my dear, let us have some fun until he returns."

~ ~ ~

"I found her." Elathan said as he appeared.

Vangelis whipped around. "Well, where is she?"