A Hectic Morning

I woke up by a hand slapping my face. It wasn't the most peaceful way to wake up, but it was better than the time I woke up by falling into a pool. The one laying next to me who also was the one to slap me in his sleep was, uh, I can't remember his name. I think it was something with a B. Like Bob or Ben or Balthazar. Oh well, it doesn't really matter. What does matter is the fact that he takes up the majority of my bed. This guy seriously has a bad sleeping position. At least he didn't slap me or push me off the bed until it was morning. It was a bit early for a Saturday, but I might as well get myself a cup of cream and chocolate coffee since I already was awake. I know it's unhealthy, but it's sooo tasty.

Just when I let out a big yawn as I was walking out my door I heard the sound of my flatmate's keys rattle in the entrance door's lock, trying to get in. I temporarily stopped my quest for sugar and went to open it for her. Behind me I left my bedroom's door wide open for the world to see the chaos of clothes, empty ramen cups, Benjamin and other stuff that was covering the floor.

"Trouble with the keys, madam?" I ask her when I open the door like a butler, a butler wearing nothing else than a nightgown.

"Thank god you're awake!" She said as she rushed inside and put down a plastic bag full of books on the floor.

"I don't think you need to thank God for that."

"You know that's not what I meant." She sighed. "Anyway, she's coming in about an hour, so be sure you're ready then."

"Who's coming?" I asked. My flatmate brought guests over very rarely and only during special occasions, unlike me who had someone over every other day.

"Ana, you know the girl who's going to stay here while I'm gone."

"I think you forgot to tell me." I said securely, not wanting to admit that I only listen to about half of all the things she talks about.

"I've told you a hundred times this past month!" She began to shout. "My cousin Ana will stay here the two months I'm away in Nepal. How couldn't you remember?"

"Well, in my defence I only store important information in my brain. If you want me to remember it you need to write it down for me." Without missing a beat she pointed at our common bulletin board we had in the hallway where there was a note with big red letters informing me about our guest-to-be Ana. "It needs to be at least four notes for me to pay attention to it!" I huffed and put my nose in the air.

"Okay, fine whatever." She said while massaging her forehead. This was a discussion I had won! "At least tell me you haven't brought anyone home with you. I want Ana's first impression of this place to be a good one and not tainted by strangers. She's shy, you know."

"Uh..." I said and glanced behind me. My door was still open and from where we stood in the hallway there was a clear view right into my room with the messy floor and Bernard sleeping in my bed. "No, no one. We're all alone here." I forced a smile and tried to stand in a pose blocking her view of my room.

"Why are you standing like that?" She asked while she was taking off her shoes.

"Oh, just stretching." I was standing on one leg with the other one up against the wall and my arms failing around trying to look as big as possible.

"That doesn't look like stretching." She gave me the same look she always did whenever she thought I did something weird and put her shoes away. "Anyway, Ana will be here in an hour, so could you please be sure to be dressed by then?" She asked and before she had received my answer she picked up her bag of books and went into her room. I made a huge sigh of relief, like, a relief as big as when you find out you barely passed an exam you thought you were going to fail. That big. Or maybe not exactly that big, but close.